Hardware cloth and staples

If you use drilled pennies as washers, just be aware you're shortening the lifespan of your hardwarecloth (possibly of the screws too, depending what kind they are). When you put dissimilar metals together like that (copper + galv steel) you get chemical reactions that eat into the metal. I wouldn't recommend doing it where long-term strength is important (arguably including a chicken run, although everyone's situation is different)

Pat

Oh, please don't tell me this. We're madly getting our coop together, and this past weekend was hardware cloth day, over the vents (at top of coop) and for the creation of a secure screen for the exterior barn doorway (door to be closed at night). We used a staple gun to attach the hardware cloth to 2x4s. Are you telling me this isn't secure enough? Because my fiance is about to lose it over the coop...

Last edited:
Quote:
Indeed raccoons etc can pretty easily pull off staplegunned hardwarecloth. If this bothers you, you may want to beef it up. It is REALLY REALLY EASY to do, though -- you needn't remove anything, just *add* a few screws-with-washers, or screw thru a batten (scrap piece of 1x2, or whatever), and presto, nobody's gettin' in.

It's totally up to you though.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:
Ohhh my...I soo know all about that.....my DBF is tired of me sayin' but we gotta do this....BTW..we pounded those big ol'e barred fencing staples....Oh if that wasn't a pain...but I guess def worth the work....all seems to be secure!!!

Quote:
Something I've wondered for a while: Is there a difference in galvanized materials? Well, I KNOW there is, but don't know the difference. We built a pool deck back in 2000 and we used ALL galvanized screws. We ended up using two 25# buckets. HALF of our screws have now rusted to the point that the heads are breaking off (not good around a vinyl lined pool).

So, I know there are some galvanized that will rust; anyone know the difference?

We use cable staples and they work great. They are easier to hammer in than the rounded ones...
40242_picture_14.png

Last edited:
I just did my hardware cloth last weekend. Used exterior screws and washers on all corners and about every 6 to 8 in. We used regular old 5/16 staples to supplement and hold the entire cloth tight against the wood. The screw/washers were a breeze and nothing short of a bear is getting in.

Last edited:
Ohhhhhhhh....poopypants.

I'm sure in retrospect, I'll think it wonderful good luck that I came across this thread BEFORE my girls go into their new coop. But right now, well, "poopypants" about covers it.

At least, it's something *I* can do, and not something to ad to my partner's list, cuz, seriously, his head's about ready to spin around.

Thanks for bringing the knowledge, BYC. AGAIN.

Quote:
any strong animal could push out staple gun staples. just add some galvanized fence staple, screws and washers, maybe try trimming it with wood screwed over the edges to secure it.......no big deal

Back
Top Bottom