Hardware cloth and staples

Quote:
did you use galvanized??? most cable staples are not galvanized.

I'm in asheville too
smile.png

Quote:
Something I've wondered for a while: Is there a difference in galvanized materials? Well, I KNOW there is, but don't know the difference. We built a pool deck back in 2000 and we used ALL galvanized screws. We ended up using two 25# buckets. HALF of our screws have now rusted to the point that the heads are breaking off (not good around a vinyl lined pool).

So, I know there are some galvanized that will rust; anyone know the difference?

Yes there is 2 different types of galvanized metal..............So i really dont want to freak you out but there is a good chance if your deck was built in 2000 and you used pressure treated lumber that the wrong fasteners were used. When the pressure treated lumber switched from ACQ to CCA they found one really big problem...The new CCA lumber is very very corrosive to metals......This has since been addressed by companies making screws etc but there were alot of issues...including collapsing decks in some cases..

Regular galvanized screw, lags, bolts etc will not hold up in CCA lumber.

Did you build it? did a contractor? Do any of the boards still have a tag or stamp you can read?

If you google ACQ and CCA lumber you will find a ton of info.....

Either way if you have screws breaking out of your deck be sure to check out the stability and call someone if you need to. More than just the screws are rusting if that is the case ..............which I hope its not

Quote:
did you use galvanized??? most cable staples are not galvanized.

I'm in asheville too
smile.png

No they are not galvanized because we were nailing into pressure treated 4x4's in some places but most of it is rough sawn pine. My dh is a contractor and just explained to me how galvanized is a new thing, people used to use regular old nails and their houses didn't fall down, lol. But in risky spots all the staples are covered up with trim pieces and protected from excess water. Sure we might have to replace some someday but oh well, I'll want a new coop by then !

Are you on Asheville City Chickens and go to the meet-ups ? I'm in west asheville and here is a pic of our coop....
40242_img_1244.jpg

Quote:
these are typically used to install foam board insulation.....they are not used on roofs at all, they would cause uneven surfaces. If the platic is not uv protected I would worry they will be cracked and falling off in 2 years of weather.

Staples may pull over periods of time but if you use the 1 3/4 they will hold very well for a long time. Using screws and washers you MUST use exterior grade or galvanized washers and screws or they will rust out......if using the new CCA treated lumber be very careful with the fasteners you choose as the wood is extremely corrosive to metal. You need to use deck screws or hot dipped galvanized.

A roofer used them to temporarily hold down a tarp on our leaky roof, within 5 hours there were several of them scattered all over the yard, most had lost the plastic washer.

I know this is a bit late but for anyone out there looking for washer/bolts, I have ordered from these folks before for several projects including my chicken abode. They ship quick and most washers are less than 5 cents. Their shipping is also dirt cheap. http://www.wholesalebolts.com/

Back
Top Bottom