Hardware cloth combo on run

ddoss

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2020
Lowell, AR
Here is what I’ve got so far. The run portion is 8’x6’x6’ tall. The horizontal board is at 2’ and the vertical members are 4’. I bought 1/4” hardware cloth (23gauge 48” roll). I was thinking of using this to cover all of the sides and then using a second layer of 16 gauge welded wire like attached that goes from 1” to 4” openings. Do you think this combo will be good? We have had raccoons in our backyard and under the house this spring but I’ve taken care of them for now. I haven’t seen one in four months or so. Last summer we had a fox on our front porch. The yard has a privacy fence. I will also use a 2’ predator apron all around out from the bottom.

I appreciate any thoughts. I’ve read lots of posts already but wanted to show my specific setup.

My chicks are 5 days old and poopin up a storm! I’m ready to get this coop finished and get the chicks in their new home.

6EDD54AD-7F49-410B-B30D-2987BC968DC8.jpeg
B34E1C2C-2A31-410F-9F2F-BE30F783191B.png

Sounds pretty good. One other thing to consider is how you're attaching the wires... screws and fender washers? Stapled and then sandwiched under trim boards that are screwed in? Are you running it over the top too, or roofing it?

Sounds pretty good. One other thing to consider is how you're attaching the wires... screws and fender washers? Stapled and then sandwiched under trim boards that are screwed in? Are you running it over the top too, or roofing it?

I bought some fender washers and was going to use galvanized nails to get it taught. Then I had planned on screwing a finish board over all of the places to sandwich like you said. Roof will be metal but hardware cloth at eaves and windows.

Back
Top Bottom