Hardware cloth on top of run

I'm in northern PA. We can get several feet of snow at a time. I built my new coop with a slant roof. Hardware cloth (16 gg, not the standard 19gg) roof. Panels are 4 ft wide, w/ studs every 2 ft.. I covered it with a heavy duty tarp in a dark color. With the wire being a thicker gauge, the pitch being steep enough, and the dark tarp, I have full expectation that snow load will not be of concern. (I chose the thicker wire because my neighbor caught a mink on game camera chewing through the standard gauge HW cloth. Killed 3 of her hens 😮)
20230611_152631.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in northern PA. We can get several feet of snow at a time. I built my new coop with a slant roof. Hardware cloth (16 gg, not the standard 19gg) roof. Panels are 4 ft wide, w/ studs every 2 ft.. I covered it with a heavy duty tarp in a dark color. With the wire being a thicker gauge, the pitch being steep enough, and the dark tarp, I have full expectation that snow load will not be of concern. (I chose the thicker wire because my neighbor caught a mink on game camera chewing through the standard gauge HW cloth. Killed 3 of her hens 😮)
I don't believe we have mink here, but I will add my vote for hardware cloth covering the entire run. Yes, it was expensive, but how much do those little birds mean to you?

This is what I discovered yesterday, raccoon damage I believe:
IMG_20230715_113155853~2.jpg

IMG_20230715_112016515_HDR~2.jpg

Someone was pretty determined...think about the strength in the jaws or fingers that bent the HWC! 😱😱😱

This is what I discovered yesterday, raccoon damage I believe:
This is part of why you need to get the HC tight and taut and well attached.
If they can get a tooth in, it can be torn up.

I'll see if she'll send it to me. It's shared on our private neighborhood group page.
Ask her permission then you could screen shoot it if she can't/won't send copies of the vid and pics.

This is part of why you need to get the HC tight and taut and well attached.
If they can get a tooth in, it can be torn up.
I thought it was pretty taut, I have it secured all along the bottom frame every six inches with fender washers and long screws.

Guess I need to do some more to tighten it against the cattle panels.
:pop

Back
Top Bottom