Hardware cloth on top of run

Chicken Chat

Crowing
14 Years
Jul 19, 2009
Southern Illinois
Hi everyone. Yesterday I had a weasel attack my chickens in the late morning and then come back later that afternoon even with a human keeping watch. Ended up killing four of my eight chickens. It crawled through my fencing which is 2x4 wire fence. I normally have issues with stray dogs getting in my yard, not weasels. I hate to do it because they are currently in about a 1/4 acre fenced area but I think I have to put them back in their much smaller enclosed run that I built several years ago because we had fox problems. It’s still part of their fenced area. I haven’t seen a fox in years so we let them have access to a bigger yard this summer. At the time, I built the run completely enclosed (top and sides) with the 2x4 fencing but I’m going to have to remove that and use hardware cloth I guess to keep the weasels out. My question is, do I need to put the hardware cloth on the top of the run as well or can I leave the regular fencing up there? The run is 6 feet tall so I can walk around inside. Will weasels climb that tall during the day to get in through the top? The coop is secure and they get locked up in the coop at night. I’m planning on using the 1/2 inch hc but was worried leaves or snow would be a problem on the top section. Anyone else not have a solid enclosed roof on their run and using hc? I’m trying to get a handle on all the work that needs to get done in the next few days as the remaining hens are locked in the coop during the day for safety till I get this finished. They aren’t happy. I’m not a violent person but I’m ashamed to say I really want to lay hands on that varmit.

Don't remove the 2x4 fencing, just do the HWC on top of it. Weasels can climb well, so you would need to find a way to exclude it on the top of the run as well. Snow and snow load could be a problem though, how much snow do you get on average and how realistic is it that you could routinely go out and clear it off during snowy weather?

I’m in southern Illinois so we can get anywhere from a 1/2 inch to 3 inch on average per snow storm with ice at least once a winter. The problem is it’s a 16 x 14 feet run. I’m not sure how to clear that without standing inside the run and jabbing it with a broomstick. Lol. I also work in the next town over so wouldn’t be able to be home all day.

Can you put a tarp over the hardware cloth on the roof? I have that arrangement on half of my run, and it works very well. I'm in Michigan, so we can get 6" of heavy, wet, snow, or half an inch of freezing rain. I pull the snow (and fallen leaves) off with a push broom.

I used the black/silver tarp from TSC, and it's held up very well. I have it tied down with bungee cords, and have had no problems with it flapping and getting holes torn in it.

Sorry, I’ve been working on my run all day. Everything takes longer in this oppressive heat. Rosemarythyme, I wish I could get away with just using the netting on mine ☹️. I assume your predators are aerial? Sally PB, the tarp you have on your run, is your run roof slanted or flat? Mine has a slight slant coming from the coop (lean to style) because I had to start the run roof above the door. (It’s one of those 8x10 backyard garden sheds with the gambrel roof) after about 10 feet it levels off flat for about 4 to 6 feet. Since I was using the 2x4 inch fencing up there it didn’t matter much. Since you use that in Michigan, it doesn’t bow from the rain and snow and how far apart are your run roof supports spaced? Right now mine are four feet because that’s the size fencing I was using. You said you only tarp half, does the other half have hc on it? Sorry for all the questions, I only want to climb on top of there as few a times as I can. Not fond of heights or walking around on 2x4s…..

It's encouraging Sally PB has done a tarp & HWC set up and had it work, so hopefully she'll be able to give you more details on how to set it up.
IMG_1389.JPG

It looked like this. The metal frame is from a green house. The chicken wire supports the tarp and any snow load over the space between the bars. You need some kind of slope to the roof so it can shed rain. I pull off the snow with a push broom if we get more than about 1 inch.

I've added on since then, but the idea is the same. You can tie the tarp on with zip ties, or bungee cords if you think you'll need to change the set up.

Back
Top Bottom