Hardware Cloth Size and Guage Choice Dilemma

I may have missed it but I see people putting the hardware cloth on the inside and some people put it on the outside. Is it just a preference?
I think it comes down to preference or convenience. Some coops and runs are constructed in ways that make it easier to attach inside, others outside.

Attaching the hardware cloth securely would make more difference than which side it is on.

I may have missed it but I see people putting the hardware cloth on the inside and some people put it on the outside. Is it just a preference? Thanks
If there is a chance of bigger animals pushing against the run wall,
installing the mesh on the outside makes more sense.

Oh thank you so much for this response! I have been told the 1/4" (23 gauge) *should not* be too flimsy but my gut is just saying it's a little too flimsy for my liking.

We are first-time chicken owners and I am finding that a lot of seasoned veterans just kinda shrug it off if a predator gets a chicken. I know it could happen, but I am going to do everything I can to keep that from happening. In fact, I plan on laying wire down in the bottom of the run and covering it with fill dirt right off the bat instead of hoping nothing digs under. I'm also burying the hardware cloth about 8-12" in the ground on the outside as well. We plan to take the best care of our little ladies. People look at me and say "that stuff is expensive and you're spending a lot of money you might not need to spend." I want to look at them and say "Ummm thanks for your opinion, but I care about my ladies living their best life without the fear of being eaten and being protected as best as I can!" I may have turned into the crazy chicken lady already! 😂
Oh my! I’m a first-time chick owner and feel the same way. Will also be installing 1/2” hardware cloth in run and around paddock where run and coop are. Did you already get your chicks? (Can’t recall the date of your post!)

Oh my! I’m a first-time chick owner and feel the same way. Will also be installing 1/2” hardware cloth in run and around paddock where run and coop are. Did you already get your chicks? (Can’t recall the date of your post!)
Well I’m happy to have a fellow newbie to enjoy this crazy ride with!!! I did get our chicks. We went for dog food and came home with 4 little ladies 3 weeks ago. We are almost done with the coop construction and should be moving them into their new house this weekend!!!

How about you? Did you get your chicks yet? If so what kind are they? Ours are all 4 Isa Browns and they are so friendly and curious. I can’t wait to really get to interact with them in their run!

Well I’m happy to have a fellow newbie to enjoy this crazy ride with!!! I did get our chicks. We went for dog food and came home with 4 little ladies 3 weeks ago. We are almost done with the coop construction and should be moving them into their new house this weekend!!!

How about you? Did you get your chicks yet? If so what kind are they? Ours are all 4 Isa Browns and they are so friendly and curious. I can’t wait to really get to interact with them in their run!
Wow! You must be a real chick mama already. How does it feel? Where is the coop? It must already be finished! I bet they have changed your life! Congratulations!! I went a little crazy over here and ordered 12 chicks (speckled Sussex, barred rock, americauna and australorp, ! 😱 They will arrive anytime between April 10 and 20. I’m just starting the renovation of our coop and run which we inherited when we bought this place. My thoughts are constantly with predators and now wondering if I should get an automatic coop door for convenience. So much to consider! How is your predator situation?

Back
Top Bottom