Hardware cloth versus welded wire.

The 16 gauge wire is better/ stronger than the 19 gauge. @BesideStillWaters. With wire, the lower the number on the gauge the better. The first “wildlife” I saw when I moved into this house back in 2018 was a weasel. So with that in mind I went with the HC when I built my chicken run. My main coop is a converted 8 x 10 foot shed. I’ve since added motion sensor lights and that helps to scare off the hungry visitors.
Thanks that makes sense. :)

Ooohhh I'll look into the motion lights too.

I didn't know weasels would eat chickens. 😱

Ooohhh I'll look into the motion lights too.
Not sure they would really scare them off,
maybe at first but not for long, all preds are pretty adaptable.

I'm sorry, I forgot to get that photo of the damage and repair. I've been working long hours and it slipped my mind.
That's OK, we can wait :D

Until I joined this site, I didn't realize chicken wire wasn't good. Yesterday, a raccoon proved this to be true as it tore up weeks worth of work. Thankfully, it couldn't get into the house so all the chickens are safe, but we are going to redo the run and get rid of the chicken wire since it is useless. We already bought some welded wire, but I've seen a lot of people on here talk about hardware cloth. So in your opinion, which is better?

View attachment 2625214

I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally don't want to hear something banging on metal, go outside to investigate, and find this again:

View attachment 2625232

View attachment 2625236
I’m sorry you are having predator problems but have to say, those raccoon photos are priceless! I teach a class on raising chickens, would it be okay with you if I show these pics when I talk about predator-proofing your run?
Obviously, you have entry gaps to plug, but once you have that taken care of, we’ve protected from raccoons or anything else that would reach through into the coop by having a tarp around the roost area. It has grommet holes in the edges where we use plastic zip ties top and bottom so the tarp is secured. Good luck!

16 gauge welded wire is strong enough to hold its shape when used for rabbits cages. 1/2×1 is the typical size used for rabbits, and is generally much more expensive than 1/2×1/2 19 gauge hardware cloth. So long as you can secure it well, it will work, but I would hate to use it for a large area. It's hard to shape. I used a 2x4 and a rubber mallet to bend it into shape for cages. Between that and the lineman pliers used to cut it, my hands would ache for days. How I wish I wouldn't have stopped growing when I was 12...
This is why my mom picked this. My grandpa used this wore for his rabbit cages and they held up. (Except for the time their dog figured out how to open the door. 🤪) It is a larger area, but the support beams will help me secure it. I plan to attach it directly to the wood.

Haha, I relate, my hands are small too. And wear out easily. But I want this strong, so it'll be worth it.

I’m sorry you are having predator problems but have to say, those raccoon photos are priceless! I teach a class on raising chickens, would it be okay with you if I show these pics when I talk about predator-proofing your run?
Obviously, you have entry gaps to plug, but once you have that taken care of, we’ve protected from raccoons or anything else that would reach through into the coop by having a tarp around the roost area. It has grommet holes in the edges where we use plastic zip ties top and bottom so the tarp is secured. Good luck!
Thank you! Sure, go ahead! 😁 I hope it will be useful for you!

Yes, a lot of holes. And other things. Today, one of the locks on the chicken house door was unlocked. (There are two, thank goodness.) I plan to add another lock tonight.

My dad has screen up there in the roosting area, and so far so good! (The raccoon will have to go through the rabbit wire before he gets to the screen, so he can't pul the screen out.) Didn't think about a tarp. It's not too flimsy?

I have posts dug into the ground, chicken wire on the ground inside the run (to protect from digging) and welded wire on outside. I use fence staples because regular staple gun staples will rust and eventually pull loose. Racoons are very strong, they cannot pull out fence staples that you hammer in! If you wanted added protection you could run 16ga. wire around the bottom so no reaching in from the outside. I also have a solid corrugated slanted roof. I have never had anything break in.
Oooh nice! I'll look into the staples and see if I can hammer them in. I usually use screws instead of nails because I have a hard time with hammers. The staples look like they might be harder to get in than a nail. 😆

Is the chicken wire on the bottom to protect from an animal digging into the run, or to prevent the chickens from digging? The wire my dad used rusted out (it's been almost 15 years since he built the house and run) so I cut it out before the chickens moved in but never replaced it and they like digging in the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom