Hardware cloth vs. welded wire

Surgetek33

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2017
I am holding my first run for our new chickens that are ready to e outside. Because we will be moving in about a year, I’m trying to do this more economically. Am I ok to use welded wire that has spaces of about 2x4 to wrap the run and keep out predators? Or must I use hardware cloth, which is about twice the price? Because the run will stand about 5 feet tall and the wife’s cloth of either type is 4 feet, I was coming soldering wrapping in the welded wore from the top and wrapping the bottom foot in the hardware cloth, overlapping the welded wire. I need to try and get it done this weekend. So, any immediate responses would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you go with 2x4 ww your move may be real simple; you won't have to move any chickens.
Many predators, such as weasel, martin, mink, rat, snake, can climb and easily go through 2x4 ww. 1x2 would be better, though not perfect. 1/2" hw would be more secure; 1/4" would be best

Hardware cloth, is the very best solution. I would say the next best solution would be chicken wire, but only if you can securely lock up your coop at night.

It depends what predators you have. I used 2x4 welded wire as I'm worried about large predators only. The drawbacks I have learned is that it's easier for rodents and wild birds to get in and eat your feed. (I figured rodents could tunnel in no matter what). Also, the chickens can fit their heads through the bars and will definitely do so to eat any grass/plants/bugs outside the run. (Not sure if this is a problem, but something to keep in the back of your brain). When my chicks were smaller 8-12 weeks or so, they could amazingly fit through the bars and escape (even when I thought they were too big occassionally I'd have a pullet on the loose)

Welcome! The issue is cost vs. safety, and your comfort zone. A safe run will have a buried rat wall, or skirt of hardware cloth to prevent digging. Then hardware cloth over the whole thing, with 2"x4" woven wire over the lower 4', all well attached to framing with staples and then screws. Tall enough to walk in, so no crouching under the roof or wire top. Good framing, taking snow load into account.
Many people just use a dog run, or something, and plan to lock the birds in every night, and will have losses to predators sometimes. It's possible to go years with no issues, or to loose the whole flock in an hour!
It's worth a discussion with family to decide how best to go forward. Mary

In TN i used welded wire on the outside of the 2x4s and chicken wire on the inside. That way coons could not reach in far enough to snag chickens and it kept out dogs, foxes, coyotes etc. Never had issues with mink etc, possibly because of the LGD.

I am holding my first run for our new chickens that are ready to e outside. Because we will be moving in about a year, I’m trying to do this more economically. Am I ok to use welded wire that has spaces of about 2x4 to wrap the run and keep out predators? Or must I use hardware cloth, which is about twice the price? Because the run will stand about 5 feet tall and the wife’s cloth of either type is 4 feet, I was coming soldering wrapping in the welded wore from the top and wrapping the bottom foot in the hardware cloth, overlapping the welded wire. I need to try and get it done this weekend. So, any immediate responses would be appreciated. Thanks.

:welcome I am so glad you stopped to check in and did join us think you already knew that that hardware cloth was the better choice.
I have to agree do it with the 2 x 4 wood but hardware cloth please it will keep your birds alive to move with you

So, there are 2 specific predators we would be most concerned about where we live. Raccoons at night and hawks during the day. The run will be covered, which pretty much takes care of the hawks. And the chickens will be locked in the coop at night which will keep the raccoons out. We live in a very rural area. No major predators that we are aware of. And I’m less concerned about mice eating the food thank I am about the safety of the chickens. So, based on this information, are all opinions still the same. Thank you for all the helpful responses!

I sure hope you get to post lot's of photos we love to see work in progress and you will find many pages on coops even folks that had sheds in their yards before that where turned into coops enjoy all the benefits of the site

Back
Top Bottom