Hardware cloth

I've been toying with that idea too. How did you install it?
I did this as well and it works great. I sometimes see a hole started around the coop but it stops as soon as it hits HC. I used 2' wide 1/4" and bent the first row at a 90° angle and sewed it to the bottom of the HC with the wire that comes wrapped around the roll. Took some time but well worth it. I so topped off with gravel or pond rock, and in some spots a garden bed with flowers.

I purchased 1/4 inch hardware cloth for my coop, planning on 1/2 inch for the run. Has anyone had issues with it and predators? I used it on my coop door, plan on it for soffits, nothing at ground level. I might be able to double it, if people have had predators tear through during construction.
I used stainless steel 1/2 inch wire with 4x4 posts every 4 feet, since the wire cloth comes 4 feet wide. It would take a very large beast to get through it. And its been 7 years and no rust at all. If I knew how to post a picture of my coop I would. Heres a picture during construction.

Attachments

• 20170522_145244.jpg
    20170522_145244.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 19
HOT wire.
Tho some do not agree, baiting the hot wire with raw bacon can teach the bears not to come near it by making sure their tender nose and mouth meet the heat.
I was literally researching that as you posted. 🤩. I am looking at an AC powered unit. One member suggested 7000 volts/ 1 joule but my entire area is 160 sq ft (8×20) so by adding 1 foot perimeter out from run/coop as a no-man's land, that adds to 189 sq ft . Think I can get away with 6000v/0.10j. Mind you, this all based on my quick internet tutorial on electrical principles 101. Thankfully DH is an electrician; he'll be sure to make sure I don't fry chickens before their time.
I read your bacon tip before..good idea.

I was literally researching that as you posted. 🤩. I am looking at an AC powered unit. One member suggested 7000 volts/ 1 joule but my entire area is 160 sq ft (8×20) so by adding 1 foot perimeter out from run/coop as a no-man's land, that adds to 189 sq ft . Think I can get away with 6000v/0.10j. Mind you, this all based on my quick internet tutorial on electrical principles 101. Thankfully DH is an electrician; he'll be sure to make sure I don't fry chickens before their time.
I read your bacon tip before..good idea.
Get a tester too.
Here's another good tutorial:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/a-treatise-on-electric-fences-for-poultry.72229/

Thanks so much! Need to add Fender Washers to my supplies list. I image screws/washers would also be a lot easier to work with than standing upside down to pound in those god-awful fencing staples!

I guess it would be okay to install the apron with screws/fender washers to hold it in place, then wrap the run in the HWC (using fender washers/Screws,) then after the HWC completely is covering the run top AND bottom, then cover the frame with 1x2s and attach with fender washers & longer screws

Back
Top Bottom