Hardware cloth

I feel absolutely negligent with my coop and run. I leave the coop open to the run all the time and the run is just covered in chicken wire that goes 1 foot into the ground. It's worked since 2012. (knock on wood) I'm redoing the run this year as the wood is rotting. I'll be using hardware cloth and pressure treated wood this time. I've seen a fox circling the coop/run, so those are in the area. Mice did get into the run and set up a nest in a cement block hole under the water jug. They'd have been in the coop as there was a pile of feed in there as well.

A HC apron is one that is extended out along the ground from the coop and run by 24".
A predator will attempt to dig into a coop/run at the edge of the coop/run. It will not know to back up 2' to start to dig.
I've had multiple attempts from fox, coon and yotes try to dig in. The apron has won every time.

I use 1/2 inch by 1 inch welded wire on my runs. I router 3/16 inch wide by 1/2 inch deep grooves. For the wire to go in. Then I fasten it with screws driven in from the sides. Locking the wire into the grooves. I haven’t had a raccoon or dog get through it yet.

My advice is this: take slats of wood and hammer that ends of that hardware cloth down. I have bears, bobcats, you name it. They can’t chew through that cloth. You just can’t staple it down and think they’re not going to find that weak spot. They’re all too smart. I’m so sorry for your loss and hope your new flock keeps safe🤞🙏
I, too, live in bear country (black bear). Have you known bear to attempt to climb the run? How can the be discouraged?

HOT wire.
Tho some do not agree, baiting the hot wire with raw bacon can teach the bears not to come near it by making sure their tender nose and mouth meet the heat.
I was literally researching that as you posted. 🤩. I am looking at an AC powered unit. One member suggested 7000 volts/ 1 joule but my entire area is 160 sq ft (8×20) so by adding 1 foot perimeter out from run/coop as a no-man's land, that adds to 189 sq ft . Think I can get away with 6000v/0.10j. Mind you, this all based on my quick internet tutorial on electrical principles 101. Thankfully DH is an electrician; he'll be sure to make sure I don't fry chickens before their time.
I read your bacon tip before..good idea.

Back
Top Bottom