Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING!

I want to give an update. This is night 8 so I candled the eggs. The 2 extra that were on top of the ring developed just fine. I’ve been hand turning them a couple of times a day on addition to what turning they got by the incubator. Happened that 2 eggs in the slots didn’t develop at all so they’re gone and the extras are now in slots. Worked perfect!
Remember when I said the extra eggs have to straddle the ring in order to turn? Well I noticed that one of the extra eggs kept getting turned in a way that it usually, but not always, ended up horizontal on the ring. So I’d turn it and place it back crosswise. The other extra one rarely ended up horizontally. My guess is the size of the eggs differ and how they rest on the eggs below. Anyway, so far so good.
I’ve kept the humidity below 55% except for one time it went to 56%. There has been a few random times where it went below 35%, even a few times as low as 27%. I’m really curious to see how the lower humidity will effect the hatch date. All previous 4 times eggs have hatched a day early. And of course if I get a higher hatch rate overall. I do feel keeping the lower humidity is easier to achieve with less swings.

It won't.
Humidity is accumulative, so slight daily variances usually don't matter.
Why I race air cells on days 0-7-10-14
Temp on the other hand needs to stay steady.
Ok. I thought I read on this thread that higher humidity can lead to a slightly earlier hatch. I also read that incubators generally have a 20 day hatch vs 21 days with a broody. So that’s probably due to more consistent heat?
Well I got a humidity spike last night. Guess I put in too much water before bed. Looks like it stayed near 60% for 6 hours or so :(. Have I doomed my hatch?

No, just let it run down to 30-50%
Whew. I’m doing that right now. Using the B port instead of a toothpick propping the lid open. Using the B port I learned from this thread. Never occurred to me during the other 4 hatches to use it- duh! I can see it’s a much better way as I shouldn’t get any drafts on just a few eggs by the opening.

Whew. I’m doing that right now. Using the B port instead of a toothpick propping the lid open. Using the B port I learned from this thread. Never occurred to me during the other 4 hatches to use it- duh! I can see it’s a much better way as I shouldn’t get any drafts on just a few eggs by the opening.
Not sure I'd prop the lid pone as that can affect the thermostat and temps.
By 'let it run down' I meant don't add any more water until the humidity drops.

Ok. I thought I read on this thread that higher humidity can lead to a slightly earlier hatch. I also read that incubators generally have a 20 day hatch vs 21 days with a broody. So that’s probably due to more consistent heat?
Well I got a humidity spike last night. Guess I put in too much water before bed. Looks like it stayed near 60% for 6 hours or so :(. Have I doomed my hatch?
I’m having the same thing. We’ve been getting rain off and on since Tuesday night so the humidity in the incubator is hovering between 57-60 for the past 24 hours. Have the vent wide open. Saw the open B port on here but didn’t even think of that. Going to do that now.

Day 19. Locked down. Humidity will not rise above 61. Would you be concerned.. do something? Heard a bit of chirping.

Once you see pips the humidity will start to increase. I wouldn't be too worried if you have both ports filled with water then it will likely be just fine. If you see early browning of the exposed membrane on the external pips then you may want to consider adding a sponge or something but chances are it will start to increase as your hatch progresses. Good luck!

I am letting the humidity decrease ‘naturally’ by only opening the B port for a period of time. When I put the plug back in the humidity increases again but not quite as high. It’s been several hours now and it’s down to 52% now with the plug in and the vent wide open (I’ve had it wide open this entire hatch cycle). So I’m back to where I should be for managing it.

I used to prop it open to manage humidity but am not doing that anymore. I think propping it open may have resulted in late stage quitters due to drafts. I guess I’ll see when this batch hatches in 2 weeks.
It’s curious to me that we’re all using the same incubator but having different results when managing humidity. More than I think can just be due to individual ambient room humidity. None of us live with ambient humidity over say 80%, probably way less actually. And on the low we’re all not less than 20%. Our home humidity is probably within a relatively narrow range as we’re humans and don’t feel good at the extremes for long periods of time. But one person here can fill both A & B up twice a day and have humid in the 35-55% range. I do just the A side and it’s 60% and takes hours and hours to go down. If I do both ports it’s over 80%. Then you have the person who has filled both ports and can’t get above 61%. It just seems there’s more going on than ambient room humidity. Machine variability maybe. Each incubator has its own quirks I guess :)

Back
Top Bottom