Harry Potter or twilight?

I like both of them and also read Erin Hunter Warrior Cats series. If it gets kids to read that is a good thing one of my friends is a teacher and said it was amazing how some kids you would never see with a book were reading twilight at the high school.

Quote:
this is basically what I wanted to say! I mean, the moment edward leaves, bella starts doing some pretty stupid stuff hoping that he'll come back. what is that? I mean I would hope that since the author is a woman she would try to make the lead female role someone who has a bit of backbone. sheesh.

If I HAD to choose, probably Harry Potter. The story is so intricate and well written!

I do love the Twilight books, too. Although I have a problem with her spending 4 months in a nearly catatonic state because her boyfriend broke up with her. I've had my share of heartbreak in this life and you don't just curl up and die.
roll.png
I've always loved the wolves more than the vampires - they're more real and relateable. But just take it as an entertaining story and enjoy it. I like how they outwit the Volturi at the end.

Potter movies are so descriptive and the movies are the same. There have been two of the movies that when I first started to watch them I thought to myself, "I've seen this already". Of course, I'd not. The movies are just so on point with the books and visually outstanding.

Twilight's are good reading to take you away from everyday. The movies lack a little though. The last movie really failed to deliver. I was very disapointed. I guess I was expecting more visually. Well, Taylor, a.k.a. Jacob delivered visually, at least.

Benelli wrote:

Well, Taylor, a.k.a. Jacob delivered visually, at least.

Noooo! Team Edward! :p
Potter certainly has more literary merit, but I love Twilight too. After all, can't eat filet all the time, sometimes you need junk food!

Quote:
this is basically what I wanted to say! I mean, the moment edward leaves, bella starts doing some pretty stupid stuff hoping that he'll come back. what is that? I mean I would hope that since the author is a woman she would try to make the lead female role someone who has a bit of backbone. sheesh.

Agree for all the same reasons. Harry Potter wins hands down.

Twilight is definitely simplistic compared to some of the fantasy greats, but I think it might be a bit of a stretch to say that it's message is that a woman can't be complete without a man. (This from an angry feminist :p)
I think it's more about Bella finally finding somewhere she belongs, which turns out to be not in the human world. Yes, she's a useless clod at first glance, but I think it's a red herring. She ends up being the most powerful of all of them, and she saves everyone's tail in the fourth book. Her apparent fragility initially overshadows the fact that she's stubborn as a post, to the point of it becoming a supernatural ability.
Bella ain't no shrinkin' violet :p

Back
Top Bottom