Harvesting wood on own property?

If your oak tree is that big, chances are that it is hollow. I've had 4 huge oaks like that taken out in hurricanes and they were like a stove pipe on the inside. If so, then what about cutting and splitting for firewood? That would make the limbs useful also.

It is so huge I do not think it could hold up the gigantic limbs coming off of it if it were hollow but I could be mistaken! I will be checking into laws soon once I clear my desk of the 3 foot high work to be done!

If it is as old and large as you say, it probably is hollow inside. The wood inside of a tree starts to decay as the tree gets older and the hollow space actually strengthens the tree, believe it or not. I didn't believe it either until I saw for myself!

Quote:
I totaly agree we lost lots red oaks during hurricane Rita as well a pines looked like a bomb went off in our forest,i have lots of firewood and many of the big oaks were hollow

If the oak is our native oregon white oak, you may find that the wood has little commercial value aside from firewood. It dries wonky and splits easily. Must be kiln dried over a long period of time to make it marketable for any interior use. Much more value in the standing tree IMHO (w/o limbs that crush building). The real $ is in big leaf maple if you can find some of that on your property...good luck.

Back
Top Bottom