Has anybody here done a charity bicycle ride?

I have been on several charity motorcycle rides and they were great fun for all as well as helped very worth while causes
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I mean bicycle - what am I in for? i.e. what do I do to prepare for long distance? The most I do at a time is about 9-11 miles. Do I need all the fancy spandex gear that the "real" riders wear?

Last edited:
Quote:
I mean bicycle - what am I in for? i.e. what do I do to prepare for long distance? The most I do at a time is about 9-11 miles. Do I need all the fancy spandex gear that the "real" riders wear?

Looking forward to seeing the pics!
wink.png

Quote:
I could "do" complete Spandex, but I don't. My experience with the Spandex bicycle crowd is that they are "serious riders", in that everybody in a regular t-shirt and regular shorts is a dumb butt who needs to be ignored or bossed around.

A lot of road cyclists fit the "bike snob" role quite well. But there are a lot out there who are helpful and willing to mend advice and encouragement. I ride a lot (It's been a slow year for riding so I am not even over 2,000 miles yet) and I still sometimes get treated as a lesser cyclist by some of the elitists. Don't let them get to you.

As for clothing. Imho if you plan on any long rides (i.e. greater than 20 miles) a good set of cycling bibs is a necessity. The bibs stay in place and don't slide down like cycling shorts. They cost a bit more but are worth it. They are padded in the right places and they breathe to allow sweat to evaporate. The same goes for cycling jerseys. Getting the moisture away from you helps greatly on warm days and a necessity on hot ones.

Where is the ride? Most of ours include at least one mountain crossing or a large amount of climbing. A 62 mile ride on decent terrain isn't too tough if you're used to doing 30 to 40 miles every other day. But things will be sore at the end of it for sure.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Quote:
well buffy, I've done many a 20 or 30 mile ride and a few longer ones for charity. What you asked about spandex.... well, honestly........ I wouldn't want to see myself in it but........ It helps eliminate friction burns
wink.png
Also, make sure whatever bike you have has a comfortable seat, otherwise your size 3's will be a size 7's in the bun by the time your 60 some miles are done.

Back
Top Bottom