HAS ANYONE EATEN A SILKIE?

Quote:
At what age, and about how much did it weigh? Just curious.
smile.png

Many asian countries consider silkie meat a delicacy. Only the rich in those countries used to be able to eat a chicken so small, and they prize any kind of dark skinned meat. In an asian market silkie meat will get twice as much as regular chickens. My mother is trying to get me to raise meat silkies for her, but I told her to do it in her own back yard.
wink.png

Quote:
At what age, and about how much did it weigh? Just curious.
smile.png

I don't know the age, It was full grown and a rooster. It tasted a little gamey, but we like that. I have another one that I am planning on tring to make the soup they make in China. My twin sister will be coming down in three weeks and I am going to fatten it up until then.

I have relatives who have eaten Silkies. They had way too many roosters, so they had some processed to eat. I was told that they tasted just like any other chicken, except it was a bit weird because the bones were black.

I personally can't eat mine. They are too fluffy and cute to eat. Also, I just can't eat anything that has been my pet.

I have a few times. Back in 2000, I had a job that sent me to a few places in Asia (Singapore, China, Malaysia, Tawian), and I ate them. Looks odd, tastes like chicken.
big_smile.png

speaking of too many Silkie roos, We ordered 8 got 9 silkies their now 1 week old and I was concerned about having too many roos. Is it ok to have more than 1 or 2 silkie roos or are they like any other roo with only hens on his mind?

Also We ordered blue Silkies and got 3 different colors dark (black), light (blue)and lighter (grayish). does this mean I will indeed have 3 black, 3 blue & 3 slash?

Indeed. that sounds like what you have..

Silkies get along better then any other breed (in my opinion). Thats if they are raised together anyways..

I could never cook mine even anybody elses.. I am fine just getting a regular one at the grocery store..I got a cooking bird from somebody that they butchered themselves. And I actually cried when I saw it lol...

I know I am a chicken lol

But overall I could never cook any of my birds even if I was starving. But I am not going to Riot if somebody else does that...

Yes silkies are to cute, even to stick in a pot....

stephys_fluffybutts
Silkies get along better then any other breed (in my opinion). Thats if they are raised together anyways..

you have like 19 silkies? How many Roos/Hens?

I have 4 roosters and 15 hens

I just started moving some of my birds outback.. I already had 1 rooster out there.. And I just managed to get another out yesterday.. They never saw each other once in theirs lives and when I put him out there they didnt fight

I have 2 other roosters but I wont be moving them out.. One hatched with a diformaty in the leg and the other honestly has to be the smallest silkie rooster in the world lol.. I am sure they wont hurt each other but these 2 are very delicate

I use to raise them.. So I had 2-4 roosters in the same pen and they never fought.

I was able to hatch a nice pair of White silkie roosters from someone... They were the best of friends. And if they were apart from each other they would cry.. They were a year old when one Sadly caught phnemonia... We tried to treat him but he passed away.. His friend knew that he had died. He cried and cried for him... We tried to comfort him and we even brought him in the house... He didnt do anything other then cry..But he died almost a week later.. He wasnt sick or anything. He just died from a broken heart...

That was probably the saddest things I have ever seen

But really what I am trying to say is they are sensitive... Probably the sweetest things.
I have one right now that is exactly like that...(not dying or anything lol) But she is sensitive. She is attached to me.. I went out to her pen today to check on her and she cried and cried for me to pick her up..

Back
Top Bottom