Has Anyone Else Dealt with Mt. Healthy Hatcheries in Ohio?

cluckingheck

i wanna be a cowboy, baby ( HELL YEAH )
Jun 15, 2020
TyCo, West Virginia
I was just wondering, because I ordered chicks off of them — 1 Olive Egger & 2 blue rock pullets ( the blue andalusian x Plymouth Rock sex-link ) — and one of my blue rocks is very obviously a cockerel. I don’t know if it was just dumb luck and a fluke or if it happens quite often. I also emailed them about it Jun. 4th with pictures and received a reply, but when I messaged them back saying I did want a refund, I still haven’t heated back.

I emailed back again today and sent updated pictures. I know it’s Sunday, so I don’t expect any response today. I guess I’m just wanting to know what I should be expecting from customer service and if it’s worth going back to them with more orders.

here’s an update picture of my blue rock “pullet”, lol:

Attachments

• 03E2B953-B66F-4FF9-AE2B-5F804AFED555.png
    03E2B953-B66F-4FF9-AE2B-5F804AFED555.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 34
  • 49D2D873-FD43-4FE1-A80C-6036A2DDBE07.png
    49D2D873-FD43-4FE1-A80C-6036A2DDBE07.png
    393.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 1694A1CC-7190-4EE3-BFC4-F2B9D2A99A22.png
    1694A1CC-7190-4EE3-BFC4-F2B9D2A99A22.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
They clearly stated that their sexing rate is about 90% which is very good but it also means that there is a 10% chance they will get it wrong. It's a simple mistake and it happens at all hatcherys to everyone.
My question is, did you receive an extra? I did in my order, and all 4 chicks I received were sexed pellets. Even that bonus chick. Perhaps he was your bonus.

I love Mt. Healthy! I bought five Brahma chicks from them last month. I received six Brahma chicks, all sexed as female. One chick died after a few days (I think her adoptive Momma accidentally crushed her during the night), but the other five are healthy and thriving. I think you’ll get a response back, but I’d probably follow up with a phone call instead of an email.

In regard to the gender of your chick, I’d give it some more time. My Brahmas all have HUGE feet compared to my last Brahma when she was the same age and their combs are all pinking up. But their feathers say they‘re female. I’m not completely sure yet, since they’re only a month old, but I’m pretty confident that Mt. Healthy got it right.

244B8679-27B1-420C-ADC0-9B3563A1E102.jpeg

They clearly stated that their sexing rate is about 90% which is very good but it also means that there is a 10% chance they will get it wrong. It's a simple mistake and it happens at all hatcherys to everyone.
My question is, did you receive an extra? I did in my order, and all 4 chicks I received were sexed pellets. Even that bonus chick. Perhaps he was your bonus.
They said their Blue Rocks have a 100% sexing rate, though. It’s in the email I took a screenshot of.

I did receive an extra, but I’m pretty sure it’s a black Jersey Giant pullet. Here’s a picture of everyone when they got to me. I don’t have a recent picture of the pullet I think is my JG. I just don’t see why they’d send me a cockerel as an extra.

Attachments

• 77C595D7-3124-4969-B916-581775E18849.jpeg
    77C595D7-3124-4969-B916-581775E18849.jpeg
    570.3 KB · Views: 15
I love Mt. Healthy! I bought five Brahma chicks from them last month. I received six Brahma chicks, all sexed as female. One chick died after a few days (I think her adoptive Momma accidentally crushed her during the night), but the other five are healthy and thriving. I think you’ll get a response back, but I’d probably follow up with a phone call instead of an email.

In regard to the gender of your chick, I’d give it some more time. My Brahmas all have HUGE feet compared to my last Brahma when she was the same age and their combs are all pinking up. But their feathers say they‘re female. I’m not completely sure yet, since they’re only a month old, but I’m pretty confident that Mt. Healthy got it right.

View attachment 2716647
Blue rocks are sex-link, so boys are barred and the girls are a solid blue. My chick has barring and has the comb, so those both don’t look good for it.

I think the biggest thing that’s rubbing me wrong is the fact they haven’t gotten back with me in a week. I guess I’m just being a little pessimistic because I recent had a bad experience with Cackle sending me a duckling with a wound on her bill ( it looked like she had burned it ) and they completely ignored it when they got back with me and then stopped responding altogether.

Blue rocks are sex-link, so boys are barred and the girls are a solid blue. My chick has barring and has the comb, so those both don’t look good for it.

I think the biggest thing that’s rubbing me wrong is the fact they haven’t gotten back with me in a week. I guess I’m just being a little pessimistic because I recent had a bad experience with Cackle sending me a duckling with a wound on her bill ( it looked like she had burned it ) and they completely ignored it when they got back with me and then stopped responding altogether.
Right, I think it's a boy too. Likely just a hatchery mistake, those are unavoidable.

Last edited:
Pret
Right, I think it's a boy too. Sex linked chicks from hatcheries are bred in a way that the sexlink patterning is not always reliable. I assume that's what happened here.
Pretty sure you're thinking of autosecibg breeds. Those don't always have great falls between genders. Sexlinks however are very basic and bred specifically to give a big difference. In this "breed's" case, males only have a head spot. So if someone ordered pullets, they should not have a single headspotted chick

Pret
Pretty sure you're thinking of autosecibg breeds. Those don't always have great falls between genders. Sexlinks however are very basic and bred specifically to give a big difference. In this "breed's" case, males only have a head spot. So if someone ordered pullets, they should not have a single headspotted chick
Right. I don't want to be misleading here.

Pret
I never took pictures of their heads directly, but I do have this picture of them when I first got them.
10A86FFF-D0F0-4ED0-8C3D-52505D2F639B.jpeg

Ive been looking at this picture more and is it me or does it look like the chick in the lower right corner have a very faint headspot?

Back
Top Bottom