Has anyone ever bought egg's off ebay before?

Imapsychowhoa

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 6, 2010
Last summer i got a new incubator so i hatched egg's from my chicken's in the incubator and almost all of them hatched.After that my grandparent's gave me duck egg's and some of those hatched, then i bought Polish and Silkie hatching eggs from two different seller's and none of them hatched.Have any of you ever bought egg's from ebay that hatched before?

I bought a number of different lots of eggs from several vendors last year, between May and late August. Turkey, button quail, and Coturnix Quail. I had some concerns due to the time of year - it was rather hot last summer. Hatch rates ran between about 25% to around 88%. Average hatch rate was probably 40% to 50%.

So far I haven't been totally skunked on any of them. Right now, I've got some goose eggs in the incubator from a couple of vendors. I have an internal pip --keeping my fingers crossed!

I've bought eggs off ebay several times. And I've had various success rates to. The worst hatch was one chick from 12 eggs and it died after a day. I'd suggest not buying shipped eggs from the months of July-September.

Quote:
Good luck!
smile.png

I've been hatching since February and have had 11 out of 13 Rhode Island Red, 7 out of 14 Dark Cornish, 6 out of 16 Barred Plymouth Rock, 3 out of 8 Barred Plymouth Rock and Delaware pure mixed eggs and most recently 4 out of 13 Barred Plymouth Rock. Make sure that you ask the seller if the pictures they are posting are of their birds. It's amazing the number of photos that are being used "just to represent the breed". It is an opportunity to get some nice chickens that I couldn't afford otherwise but there is certainly some risk to it.

Yes, I've bought eggs off Ebay several times. I've had good hatch rates with some & a 0% hatch rate twice (first time it was Seramas & the second time it was due to very rough shipping & poor packing). I just received two shipments of eggs last week & I'm expecting Turken eggs in hopefully tomorrow. All three were bought on Ebay.

I've purchased shipped eggs from ebay as well as breeders. It's a real crap shoot, so much depends on the post office and how the package is handled en route. I purchased from the same ebay seller twice within a month and had terrible results with one package and pretty good results with the other. They were packed the same both times, same type of eggs, even same type of box and packaging. The difference was in the handling by the USPS. I'd recommend asking the seller to explain in detail how they will be packaging the eggs for shipment and see if they offer a "second chance" discount if the first hatch bombs. Of course check their feedback. And avoid sellers who can't even correctly spell the name of the breed whose eggs they are trying to sell! "purebred americannas" sheesh
roll.png

Yes, twice. One set I had shipped (80% hatch) and another that is local pickup (9/10 made it to lockdown, in incubator now). Like with any seller, read feedback. And try and pick someone who is closer. It can help shorten transit time, and you may even be able to pick up if they are local (always ask permission before you bid if you can pickup, some may not accommodate the request).

Yes, I got eggs from eBay. When I first started hatching I didn't have any hatch, but I am getting better results now. I just hatched some Salmon Favorelles I bought on eBay. Of course, any shipped eggs are a gamble. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose . Practice hatching your own eggs and locally bought eggs before you spend a lot on shipping eggs. Good luck ,;-)

Yes and also sell alot there. Hatch rates depend on how someone cared for and stored the eggs and what the PO does to them before they get to you
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom