Has anyone ever built this coop before? Coop building advice needed.....

TheCrochetChick

Songster
Jan 31, 2021
St. Augustine, FL
Hello!!!

I am in need of all y'all's advice. I am trying to build a coop- for 12-ish chickens and am thinking about buying these plans for $20. However, before i buy it i want to make sure it's the coop plans that are good. Have you built this coop? If so or if not, i would LOVE LOVE LOVE any advice you may have. I am planning to add a spacious run.

1621719140741.png
1621719161865.png
1621719177985.png
1621719213434.png

Hello!!!

I am in need of all y'all's advice. I am trying to build a coop- for 12-ish chickens and am thinking about buying these plans for $20. However, before i buy it i want to make sure it's the coop plans that are good. Have you built this coop? If so or if not, i would LOVE LOVE LOVE any advice you may have. I am planning to add a spacious run.

View attachment 2683204 View attachment 2683205 View attachment 2683206 View attachment 2683208

I have more time to look at this and reply this morning.

What are actual dimensions?

According to the usual guidelines, for each adult, standard-sized hen you need:

• 4 square feet in the coop,
  • 10 square feet in the run,
  • 1 linear foot of roost,
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.

That means that a flock of 12 needs:

• 48 square feet in the coop. 6'x8' is more practical than 4'x12' since a long, skinny coop like that would be difficult to work inside.
  • 12 feet of roost
  • 120 square feet in the run. 10'x12' or 8'x15' -- 8'x16' means fewer odd cuts than either of those. 6'x20' is possible, especially if your run is an open-topped, fenced area instead of fully-enclosed with a solid and/or wire roof.
  • 12 square feet of ventilation.
  • 3 nest boxes.
I don't think that any elevated, non-walk-in coop would be practical for 12 chickens because it would be impossible for even the tallest person to reach the far side in order to clean.

Additionally, that design has no ventilation whatsoever and would quickly turn into an absolute oven in your climate.

Florida is a perfect place for an Open Air coop -- a big wire box with a roof and just enough wall on the windward end to provide shelter from storms.

How big is that? I doubt that will hold 12 chickens. It also appears to have little to no ventilation nor natural light. 3KillerB's monitor coop is similar but has ample functional ventilation and is a better build to copy.
It's wayyyy bigger that it looks and i am planning to modify some of it. i hve a friend who raised like 50+ chickens and he absolutely loved this coop(he had 3 and it was his #1 favorite) He also raised his chickens humanely and i trust his judgement. I love my girls way too much to stuff them in a inadequate sized coop. :love💜:)

Back
Top Bottom