Has anyone ever made a "hobby quilt"

Zahboo

Simply Stated
10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
Hope Mills, NC
I am wanting to make a quilt that has stuff I like. A square of NC state university, one of chickens, one with zebra print, and other things I like. I didn't know if anyone had ever made one. I was going to do it as my project for 2010. Thanks
smile.png

there are a lot of quilters here..

I did one with old jeans, top sheet from a sheet set and some left over plaid from a family members attempt of kilt making
13904_dsc03299.jpg

I'm going into this blind. I'll be going to college in 2 years and think it'd be fun to take along.

How did you bind the squares, just sewing? and what backing did you use?

i just sewed the squares together and i used the top sheet of a set of jersey sheets for the back i wanted to use things from around the house, and the bottom sheet was already ripped

That's sweet, as in awesome! I am making mine out of fleece hopefully, with 8" squares, 8 squares by 12 squares. Should be big enough to wrap around and keep warm. I was going to do a no sew one that you knot the squares together, but thinking it'd look cleaner if sewn (sowed? sown?) together. Do you have any other quilts, any kind? Feel free to post!

Heres the plan. It was the plan for the knotted ones actually. It doesn't make since easily, but helped me figure out what I wanted/

22333_quilt10.jpg

my ds (who loves to sew) made the rag quilt (the tie together ones you mentioned) i will up load a pic gimmie a min

ok i have tried 3X to upload a pic with no luck i may need to reboot but i dont have time before i have to go to work so it will have to wait till tomorrow

Last edited:
I really like the "chenille" type quilts. Don't know what you call them. You make your individual blocks, with the top, batting, back.... quilt each individual block, then sew them together, all the seams to one side. Clip the seam allowances and eventually they frizzle up. Zowie I'm brain dead on terminology tonight.

Come on you quilters help me out here.... In any event, when you make this type of quilt, you don't have to put on a back, bind, or tie... And you get the effect of it being fully quilted not just tied.

BLAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Another victim!!!

Think of a quilt as a sandwich. You have your bottom piece of bread, your meat in the middle and then your top piece of bread. Backing, batting, quilt top.

I've made quilts out of everything. Jeans and other clothes, old sheets and bedspreads, even old towels and blankets. Best to use is cotton.

My brain isn't all here right now (caffeine withdraws) so I'm going to leave you with the link to the Quilting and Sewing thread. Hasn't been real active lately as we've all just finished up with holiday gifts and are exhausted, lol.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=105929

Back
Top Bottom