Has anyone had DNA sexing be wrong? Pullet with large peacomb

Looks like a triple pea to me.
9 weeks too young for gender specific feathering.
Give it another few weeks at least.

I don't know if I can take the suspense. I may just send in a second sample and do blood this time :confused: But it almost seems pointless now to have paid for DNA sexing if I'm going to have to second guess it or wait it out.

The comb is 3 rows, but they do not extend all the way down and are not equal. One side goes about 2/3 down now, and the other not even half way. The comb growth has coincided with a growth spurt, but it is just so much bigger than the other peacomb pullet's.

I'm wishing you luck! Crossing fingers for her.
I believe that she is truly a she. I've had female easter eggers with 3 rows and pink combs at ten weeks and ee males that I just was sure were female.
Please keep us updated.

I'm leaning towards pullet too. Sometimes they just have big combs! Not entirely uncommon. Guess you're just gonna have to wait :p

I took feathers at 6 weeks and this easter egger (opal legbar x a "blue egg layer") came back as female. However, at 9 weeks her comb has really been growing this last week or two and now is starting to look cockerel-ish. I am new to peacombs and only have on fast developing cockerel to compare her too (same age but he has pointed feathers including the sickle tail feathers, very red and developed pea comb, and crows since 8 weeks).

Do all your chicks have the same parents?

I used IQ bird testing. It appears really accurate for everyone, so I wouldn’t worry too much. It was weird for me, I know the sample was right it was the only one that hatched.

is the opal legbar the dad?

Do all your chicks have the same parents?

No, the other cockerel in the photos is not related, only hatched the same time. He is the only frame of reference I have for peacombs and hard-feathered roosters.

I think the other 2 (pullet and cockerel) are half siblings but I am not positive if it was 1 or 2 opal roos in the pen. The other cockerel comes from an andalusian hen and has a completely different build so I can't compare. I thought the other pullet could be a full sister because they came from identical colored eggs, same pen, but again I'm not sure and by looks would guess not.

Back
Top Bottom