Has anyone had their duck X-rayed? Was it useful?

DutchDuckies12

Hatching
Dec 15, 2019
Hello,

In my previous post, I have more details but short story I have a limping Pekin duck with no trauma or Bumblefoot. I want to know what is going on with my little man and was wondering if taking an x-ray would reveal something. Has anyone had any experience with this? Is it possible to see arthritis on an x-ray or other problem in the joint?

Off topic here, But what did you do for the rooster?
Not really off topic. The sad part is that the rooster died. I tried to hatch as many of his offspring as possible.
I've treated bumblefoot several times. I originally did surgery and injected the site with a combiotic which was the old school method of treatment.
I no longer do surgery unless it is very severe.
I found a better course of action is warm Epsom salt baths daily. Then an application of an herbal treatment consisting of HEC (hypericum, echinacea, calendula), then wrapping the foot and keeping it clean and dry on fresh bedding. It usually requires having the bird in his own quarters.

Hello,

In my previous post, I have more details but short story I have a limping Pekin duck with no trauma or Bumblefoot. I want to know what is going on with my little man and was wondering if taking an x-ray would reveal something. Has anyone had any experience with this? Is it possible to see arthritis on an x-ray or other problem in the joint?

The thing to remember with X-rays is that they'll only show the situation with the bones and/or any hard foreign objects. For soft tissue you'd need to get a full MRI which is going to be very costly.

I had a young Pekin drake with an awful limp almost 2 years ago. Took awhile to find a vet to look at him. He was x-rayed and found to have floating femur. Vet said it was possible to try and pin it , but anesthesia might kill him.
He also offered to put him down...
I took him home. Feed him more with niacin supplements and left him in tub until he was strong enough to get back on the pond. In 3 weeks he was back in business .

Hello,

Please let us know what you find out!

Back
Top Bottom