1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anyone made an auto turner?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by twigg, Mar 31, 2008.

1. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    from scratch?

I'm curious as to how it was done [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I haven't but I know others have, just need to find a way to have something tilt the eggs or roll them every once in a while.

3. kartking22

kartking22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    What type of bator do you have? There are many ways to make an automatic turner or a very simple manual turner. I would need to know more about your set-up to suggest the best option.

4. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:I made my last incubator to fit a commercial auto-turner.

I was thinking about the next one, and wondering what others had done for different styles..

The Hovabotor autoturners are decent, and relatively cheap. I could simply use say 3 of them in a cabinet, but wanted something more elegant.

I could also buy the autoturner parts from GQF for a Sportsman, but was wondering what motor they used, because I can make my own.

5. TommyVT05

TommyVT05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    twigg,

Nice one! I should start building mines! Haha.
    Wonderful design and idea. So proud of you! : )

For everyone else,

In regards to MAKING an auto turner, the turner might not be the issue but how are you going about to "making" the egg racks? It has to be the right shape, size, etc. It can't be wood because wood might have "hot spots" gained from the heat and thus, be over what your thermometer might read out...

If you have to end up using the egg racks...mind as well just buy the whole thing already...know what I mean?

Kind regards,

- Tommy

6. Ryan81986

Ryan81986 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    Does anyone have the dimentions for that auto turner?

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Maybe this will help.

For the racks I use wood frames with wire bottoms an stick cheep store egg flats in them.

8. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    My husband just made me a complete set of racks and used the turner frame I already had..mine had some missing. Took about an hour to do them all and was free...we build and have all kinds of fun stuff around.Wood can breed bacteria which isn't good in an incubator so we used PVC . It works great so now when we finish my big cabinet(he loves me lots and likes chickens to) he knows how to do my turners cheap.

9. srsmith69

srsmith69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Can you post pictures of your rack... No offense, I really just want to see the structure your using to hold eggs.

10. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    you could start with something like this https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009101614582751&item=5-1587&catname=electric and play with your voltage to vary the speed.

You could also go with something like thishttp://www.solarbotics.com/products/gm21/ and then add thesehttp://www.solarbotics.com/products/51500/ to have a continuous turning motor at a super low rpm.

Either motor will respond to changes in the dc voltage, but only to a point. To much or to little will result in burning out the little electric motor. You can also use a pulse wave modulator that runs the correct voltage but sends it out in pulses so as to not harm the motor, but will reduce/increase the speed at which it turns.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by