Has anyone purchased from Urban Coop Company?

chick'n'weave

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Texas
Am interested in your reviews about the Round top coop from Urban Coop Company. Am shopping for coop kits. All very expensive, but I figure you get what you pay for. I like the Urban Round-top coop but coop has a wire floor. Any ideas for covering that floor.....and how to clean it? I'm told that the wire is not good for chicken feet.

Any suggestions / reviews, etc. will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

Total newbie here.

I was looking at their Round Top Mobile Coop. It holds 2-4 hens. The roosting area with perches is above an open space with no wire or floor beneath. I guess that makes it easy to clean, since the grass catches it, nothing except the perches and the nesting box to clean? Maybe turn it on the side a couple times a year to scrape and spray clean? Would that make sense

It is light enough two people could move it. I'm only planning on 4 chickens, but would think about adding an additional run to double the yard area size. Would also allow them out during the day in my back yard, which is mostly hilly, not flat.

Yard Area: 48″W x 56″L x 21″H
Roost Area: 16″W x 58″L x 16″H

It looks well made, which is great because most the reviews I've seen of most premade coops are pretty discouraging. I could assemble but don't have the tools or talent to build from scratch.

One question I have is the yard area has no protection against rain in the winter except the roost area above it. But the yard area is wider than the roost area. So when it rains, any litter will get wet. If you don't use litter, they will be in muddy dirt. I have a level spot of about 6' by 30' so could move it to a new spot, but would not be enough time for the grass to grow back, esp with the extension that doubles the yard size.

I thought I saw them putting an optional box frame under the mobile coop that would allow you do to the deep litter underneath and compost, but I can't figure out where that was now. But it got me thinking about what happens when it gets wet.

I live in a mild climate in the california bay area, so not a problem with freezing temps and snow, but we can get substantial rain, when we aren't having a drought year.

I like the idea of their built in automatic feed and water system, so they could be left alone for a few days if needed. Has anyone used that? Would it be reliable?

It is spendy, but on sale right now, so I need to order soon if I get it. What do people think? Has any one used their Mobile round top coop?

See, you can tell I'm a newbie, nothing but questions at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,

Total newbie here.

I was looking at their Round Top Mobile Coop. It holds 2-4 hens. The roosting area with perches is above an open space with no wire or floor beneath. It is light enough two people could move it. I'm only planning on 4 chickens, but would think about adding an additional run to double the yard area size. Would also allow them out during the day in my back yard.

Yard Area: 48″W x 56″L x 21″H
Roost Area: 16″W x 58″L x 16″H

It looks well made, the reviews I've seen of most premade coops are pretty discouraging. I could assemble but don't have the tools or talent to build from scratch.

One question I have is the yard area has no protection against rain in the winter except the roost area above it. But the yard area is wider than the roost area. So when it rains, any litter will get wet. If you don't use litter, they will be in muddy dirt. I have a level spot of about 6' by 30' so could move it to a new spot, but would not be enough time for the grass to grow back, esp with the extension that doubles the yard size.

I thought I saw them supplying a box frame to set the mobile coop on that would allow you do to the deep litter underneath and compost, but I can't figure out where that was now. But it got me thinking about what happens when it gets wet.

I live in a mild climate in the california bay area, so not a problem with freezing temps and snow, but we can get substantial rain, when we aren't having a drought year.

I like the idea of their built in automatic feed and water system, so they could be left alone for a few days if needed. Has anyone used that? Would it be reliable?

It is spendy, but on sale right now, so I need to order soon if I get it. What to people think? Has any one used their Mobile round top coop?

See, you can tell I'm a newbie, nothing but questions at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Try using the search above I have seen that company mentioned in the past few month. As far a soggy coop. If you haul dirt sand or rocks to build a pad to set the coop on water will flow to the lowest point.

Like haul coarse rocks and build it up 4-6" then landscaping weed barrier then 10+" of soil and the rock give a natural drainage the soil being raise should not get soggy. If you don't have access to a lot of land where ever the chickens are very long will be dirt in no time.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Do you think I should build up and leave in one place? It would take a lot of dirt and rocks to do the whole strip, and I have to haul up stairs and a hill!

That might relieve pooling of water, but still would not be able to use litter there the run under the coop/roost part is screened, and wider than the roof. It is like the bottom part of an A frame. So the water would just rain in and blow in. Not sure how people handle that. I see a lot of coops with open runs beneath.

Thanks!

Hi Scott,

Do you think I should build up and leave in one place? It would take a lot of dirt and rocks to do the whole strip, and I have to haul up stairs and a hill!

That might relieve pooling of water, but still would not be able to use litter there the run under the coop/roost part is screened, and wider than the roof. It is like the bottom part of an A frame. So the water would just rain in and blow in. Not sure how people handle that. I see a lot of coops with open runs beneath.

Thanks!

how many areas could you move it? do you plan on free ranging them or using the run only?

Scott

So I have a different coop of theirs, so I can't attest to the exact item you're looking at but I can fill in some gaps.

The roosting area with perches is above an open space with no wire or floor beneath. I guess that makes it easy to clean, since the grass catches it, nothing except the perches and the nesting box to clean?

Yes the poop will drop straight to the ground beneath. I don't clean my roost bars or my nest box as they haven't really needed it, however if you do find it necessary you can probably use a hose and a scrub brush to take care of that.

It is light enough two people could move it. I'm only planning on 4 chickens, but would think about adding an additional run to double the yard area size.

While they call this a mobile coop it's still 125 lbs and I can tell you that definitely is still a pain to move (as this isn't a tractor there's no wheels, you have to lift it). The additional run will add some weight but it looks to be removable (mine is also removable, it just stays in place with the latches on the side) so that's a plus when you go to move it.

One question I have is the yard area has no protection against rain in the winter except the roost area above it. But the yard area is wider than the roost area. So when it rains, any litter will get wet.

I'm in the Pacific NW so I know rain! What I suggest is buying the optional storm panels http://urbancoopcompany.com/product/round-top-mobile-chicken-coop/#cold-climate (it's the products under "Cold Climate" on the product's page, in case that link doesn't work). I use the panels for snow and rain and while it's not going to waterproof the coop and the litter will still get wet, it does help to cut down on the amount of water getting in and gives the chickens somewhere to shelter during a storm.

Can't really see how the food and water dispensers are built in this particular model, but mine work fine and hold about 3-4 days worth of food and a week's worth of water.

Back
Top Bottom