Has anyone seen something like this...Help please

Pics

curious1969

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Northwest Montana
Yesterday I noticed one of my broody hens had a chick that wasn't acting quite like usual. It had gotten separated from her and it was a warm day, so I put it by a waterer and it seemed like it was very thirsty. When it finished drinking I checked it and returned it to the hen. Even after it was back with her it just kept peeping loudly so I gave them some chick starter and it ate some and seemed better. Last night it was crying loudly again, I always give them extra food when they go in for the night and it was eating and quit crying. This morning it was crying again so I checked more closely, I felt its tummy and there is a lump, almost like the yolk may have turned hard inside? They are about 2 weeks old and when I looked closer at the abdomen I found something I have never seen before. Does anyone know what it could be and how or if it can be treated?
sick chick.JPG

They don't move, they are like little hard bumps. They are not mites either as I double checked to make sure. I did have to clean the feathers there, it was almost like something was weeping, but the umbilical is all closed up so I'm not sure.

They don't move, they are like little hard bumps. They are not mites either as I double checked to make sure. I did have to clean the feathers there, it was almost like something was weeping, but the umbilical is all closed up so I'm not sure.
Hm. I have no clue then. Cause that's under the body, not on the back where the vent and umbilical cord are. It looks like you got the feathers wet to see it better. Does that stuff give any indication that it might wash off?

No, it actually starts directly below the vent and is pretty much surrounding where the umbilical was. No it won't wash off, it is almost like tiny tumors?!? In over a decade of hatching and raising birds I have never seen anything like it. The chick also feels terribly thin :barnie
No matter how much we've seen life always has something new up it's sleeve.
I really hope someone else has an idea.
So, it's not even like something stuck on, it's part of the bird? Like a weird tissue or growth? Before you said it might have been like something was weeping. Do you not feel that way anymore?

Back
Top Bottom