Has Anyone Seen this re: Homeschooling?

Some folks just think its fun Josie.

Unfortunately, some people just don't understand why we do it. Some people think we think what everyone else does isn't good enough for our kids, but that has nothing to do with it. I can't tell you how many times I've had people to ask in not so many words if I think my kid is better than theirs. Others make assumptions that something isn't normal in our homes, since we don't let our kids out, most don't realize that the average homeschooler has a busier calender than most public schooled kids. It puts a target on us. Of course doing anything thats different from others makes you a target. Even having chickens in your backyard in this modern world
wink.png

Be sure and sign the petition I linked to above!

We homeschooled our children in CA. Our youngest is now almost 29. Actually, we unschooled so I guess some would consider that not 'really' schooling them. They had no curriculum, no set times to do work, no tests, no nothing - just the encouragement to get to know the world around them. We did not homeschool them to make them mini-geniuses, protect them from the world or indoctrinate them into any religion. We simply enjoyed their company at home, I was lucky enough to be a stay at home mom and I wanted to see if John Holt's theories worked (We called it 'the grand experiment!'). We had a great local school where I had worked (as an interpreter for the deaf - I do not have a teaching credential) so I can't say that they were homeschooled to 'save' them from the public school system.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this decision since many private schools in CA hire people who do not have teaching credentials.

As for that petition, personally, I'd stay away from anything related to HSLDA. That organization loves things like this happening so they can use it to scare homeschoolers into buying their "protection". All homeschool parents should get to know the other side of this organization so make sure you read the anti-hslda sites online too. Climbing down from my soapbox.

Good luck to those still in the trenches.

All of my grandchildren are homeschooled and I have been keeping two of them for the last since Sat. Monday and tues were very busy. I carried them to dance and Karate on Mon afternoon and then yesterday they were at Co=op from nine to three where they take all kinds of classes such as my 6 year old granddaughter is takin sewing and she just about has a pair of PJ bottoms made. She loves her Science class and Russian language class which is taught by a lady from Russia. Also is taking a Violin class. After that they went to Piano lessons and I picked them up at 4. They are excellent in reading writing and Math. Always test very high on the test that are given at the end of the year same as public school system uses. The Co-Op meets at a large church and is very organized. It is once a week taught by the parents and gives the children an opportunity to participate in very interesting classes. They also have a musical play they can participate in every semester. So my grandchildren sing very well too. Sorry to brag on my Grands so much, but Hey, I am a grandmother. I have pictues too.

Rocket Raley, you might want to contact your state homeschooling society. I know they would be able to help you find other homeschoolers near you. I belong to homeschool alumni web forum, and we have several members from S.C, at least one of whom has siblings still in school.
Best wishes to you-I hope things get better for you soon.

Quote:
I understand that you are in a really tough spot. Every child should be safe while at school, regardless of their ethnicity. It is a shame that NONE of the children in your school district are safe unless they are enrolled in private school. I really hope that the suggestions that GwensFarm and Silkiechicken have made can help you and your daughter in this situation. It sounds as though you could really use some support for your homeschooling efforts.

Although the demographics of your local public school are such that only the black kids attend, the real problem is likely that the schools are so bad that no one wants to send their children there. Those who can afford to pay for the alternative (private school) are doing that and those who can't tend to be the less affluent people who happen to be black.

It is a shame that your area hasn't been able to find a way to get together to create an educational system that works for all of the children. I'm sure that there are plenty of people who are paying for private school there who would prefer to not spend their money in this way.

Quote:
I agree that I wouldn't join HSLDA just for random protection. The chances of you needing them are slim and they do exploit highly publisized cases to drum up business, but the fact is that when something like this happens they are the go to folks. They are and will continue to fight this and will be instrumental in reversing this decision. The fact is that this is one of the few things that we can do that will help these families. Having this depublished will be beneficial to everyone in CA and elsewhere.

I heard that too!!!!! I am sooooooooo mad!!!!! I am in 7th grade and have been homeschooled for about a year. Schools nowdays are so awful, I don't want to go back!!!!!

Quote:
How could they school their children? There are several curriculums that're on the computer, like Switched-On-Schoolhouse, I used that one for two years. Then there's the Abeka DVD's which is a classroom setting with qualified teachers, and you do your work along with the DVD's. I did that year before last, I think it was. They're very easy to work along with without any parental guidance. As for older children, there's those options, or just plain work textbooks that can be worked through without parental guidance, that's what I use is the Abeka workbooks. There are less expensive curriculums out there besides Abeka, though. You can actually throw together your own curriculums by buying books at a teacher's aid store, or something like that. If the younger children require help there's always the older kids to help out when they're done with their school. It can be done, it may take some getting used to, but it's possible. I know families who do it and that's how it happens in our household.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom