Has Anyone Seen this re: Homeschooling?

Quote:
I very much agree with this. I think it is good to have well socialized children and people who home school their children have a responsibility to make sure that this happens somehow.
Also, I would suggest that no matter if a child is home schooled or publicly schooled, it takes a monumental effort on the part of the parent to see to it that the child is educated properly. Many children go through public school with no help from their parents and it shows. My parents are both educators and their biggest complaint is the lack of involvement and interest parents have in their children's schooling.

Silkiechicken,

My ex-husband grew up in Lake Stevens, near Everett, and he described the demographics as being similar to what you experienced. He and his 2 brothers also went to U of W, and that was seen as a huge accomplishment. I have to admit that prior to meeting him and many of his friends I had sort of an East Coast snob thing about what a "good school" meant. That is, my friends and I were already worrying about what private school (preferably Ivy League) we'd be attending when we were in 8th grade. I gained so much respect for public schools in general after spending a lot of time at UW. In fact, that's where I really wanted to go law school - tried twice & was shot down both times - and ultimately wound up at another big public school (UC Hastings) instead of taking a scholarship at Seattle U (a private school, as you know). Sometimes I wonder if I made a mistake leaving Seattle behind, because it is such an amazing, diverse place. I miss great book stores (Elliot Bay being my all time fav), wandering around Bell Town, and a good rainy day in a coffee house. You're lucky to be there! Of course, if I WERE there I wouldn't be with my DH and kiddos, so I guess there's a reason for everything...

Laura

Oops, and on the subject of home schooling: I think it can be dangerous when the goal is to make a child so isolated that the child cannot go on to adapt to the "real" world as an adult. On the other hand, my best friend from college successfully home schooled both of her boys, and she completely opened my mind to homeschooling in the process. Since one of my children has a coordination disorder that severely impacts his fine motor skills, I have always had home schooling in the back of my mind. Meanwhile, I know he'd miss his friends and the social side of school - given our very isolated location, as in our house can't even be seen from the road - I would really worry about him not having the day to day contact that he loves. Play dates just aren't the same.

Laura

We homeschool here in Alberta, Canada. Right now, our laws are good, and alot of people are in favor of homeschooling. However, there are those that get alot of publicity and are not doing well by their children. It makes all the rest of us look bad. We do belong to the Organization mentioned in the newspaper, Homeschoool Legal Defense. I have too many people bug me about different things, so it's just to be on the safe side. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind their questions, just the fact that they don't really listen to the answers because they have it made up in their mind already how they are going to think.

As to socialization...most people don't grow up and leave post secondary only to join a corporation full of people their own exact ages. Socialization is best if the children are surrounded by people of all different ages, backgrounds and people groups. You won't find that in a grade 2 class. You'll find grade 2 aged people with different backgrounds and from different people groups, with 1 adult. Not very diverse. But take a child to an old folks home to sing songs to them and play games on Sunday, meet for drama on Saturday with people from different countries and age groups, Coffee at the O (friday group of moms and dads who get together informally to have coffee and play games with their homeschooled kids, all ages, several backgrounds) and many others. Before I homeschooled, I used to wonder about socialization. Now I see my kids more confident (except for my one kid who would happily sail off to a desserted island, as long as it had chocolate and lots of pets....can I come?) than alot of other schooled kids, simply because of the diversity in their lives. They can speak with confidence to an adult, an older person, their own age, and are not so snobby that they can't interact with those that are younger.

Tanya

Hey guys. I was going to post this but I see someone already did. I'm homeschooled and have been for almost 6 years or more now and I love it. But to let everyone know that doesn't already, homeschooling has always been illegal in California, they're just trying to enforce it. But it is a concern because what happens in California generally trickles over to everyone else. Just gonna have to pray for the best I guess. Jay & Heidi are heading over there or have already headed over there to try and help out with the homeschool families by starting First Class Co-Ops I think, or at least that's what I've gathered from the information our First Class leader here has been telling us every Monday morning when she updates us on the situation. Oh -- and homeschoolers most certainly are not anti-social and blahblahblah. That's why Jay and Heidi started the co-ops around, to give us homeschoolers a chance to not only socialize with peers our own age, but take extra curricular classes. Honestly, I have the choice to switch over to a public school if I want, but I love homeschooling. I firmly believe parents have a right to their kids and choosing what they learn in school, not the government. My biggest concern isn't that us homeschoolers won't be able to deal with the "real world", that most certainly isn't the case at all. My concern is the kids in public school systems and HOW THEY will deal with the world. No offense to anyone in the public school system or who has kids in the public school system -- but there is a difference, there certainly is no denying that much. I have a choice of what I want to learn outside of my curriculum, I've studied different religions, psychology, so on and so forth. I helped a college student that's a friend of mine study and pass her exams in her paralegal studies. I can finish my schoolwork in half the time and learn just as much, if not more of what kids in public school learn. Homeschoolers have so many activities it's not even funny. I wouldn't be suprised if we're more socialized, even. We don't only have book knowledge, but also learn stuff to apply later in life, such as home-ec skills from having to cook dinner,take care of the younger kids in the family, or build chicken coops. There's some field trip or activity at least once a day during the weekdays for homeschoolers, and alot on the weekends. Trust me, we're not missing out. We've learned to communicate and carry on adult, mature conversations and act like adults from young ages. We're not missing out on our childhood, please don't take that and twist it around. You know what I'm saying.

Just had to jump to the defense of myself and other homeschoolers real quick.
smile.png

[edited for spelling errors and to add:]

I am not trying to offend anyone, but I also don't want y'all to be ignorant like some people in my family who often want to attack me or my mom for my choice in education. I've been brought up to be able to make decisions for myself as well, if not better than kids in a public school system. My social skills are exceptional (not bragging, but it's the truth.). The maturity difference between most home schoolers and "public schoolers" is absolutely astounding.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Your experience exactly mirrors what I have seen in the family that I mentioned and others. I love the fact that I can have a mature conversation with these kids and that they are able to contribute a well-thought out reply. You sound as though YOU should be the poster child for home-schooling! It's kind of funny... The mother that I mentioned adopted her children as a single parent, later in life after raising one family. She is in her seventies and just says... "I'll be glad when my youngest learns how to drive. I'm gonna keel over from all of these activities!"

With all the theives, perverts, murderers, abusers, druggies, arsonists and illegals out there, why waste court time and jail space for people whose only crime is educating their children without a teaching credential???

I don't have kids and I reckon that means I don't have much say but, well said.
clap.gif

I have nothing against home schooling or any school if it is done right. No matter how and where the kid gets an education, I think it all boils down to parent involvement and genuine care for their kids. With that care and drive, they can make it happen.

Students can fall though the cracks so to say, in both public and home schooling. It is the drive of parents that gets things done and sets an example for the kids to follow.

I love the Seattle area... but am going out of state for graduate school. At least I'll still be on the west coast!

Quote:
clap.gif
AMEN! Our town has a homeschool group that meets at the rollerskating rink and other places like that around town. We go to those all the time and meet other homeschoolers. We have plenty of social time. If your homeschooled or your homeschooling someone, you should see if your town has a homeschool group. I bet that you'd have fun. I'm not trying to start an argument, just trying to help.

Kids are so pampered and babied these days that they can't make it in the real world anyway. Companies are actually having to praise them just for showing up to work, they have whole departments just for praising employees or they become none functional.

I'm sorry, I really think Homeschooling is the only way for kids to get a decent education.

As far as the ruling goes, gee what can you expect from The People's Republic of Kalifornia?

And Yes, I'm orginally from Kalifornia. Live there again? NOT ON YOUR LIFE.

Back
Top Bottom