Has anyone SUCCESSFULLY cured a slipped tendon?

I have a d’uccle chick in the same boat :( first time incubating eggs, I noticed the curly toes on about day two and when I took the shoes off her, her toes were right she was hopping around on one leg. Her Achilles is defintely slipped but her leg moves in ways it shouldn’t suggesting a torn or damaged collateral ligament. I have her leg bandaged but she hates it, cheeps a lot and way less mobile. I tried to make a standing chair support for her to keep the leg in the right rotation but the little brat kept getting out of it. Debating about whether to cull her if bandaging doesn’t work. As a bantam I think s(he) could do fine as a one legger but I worry not so much in a flock with larger birds she can’t get away from easily :/
Take the large chips out and put in non slip surface. I used large shavings once and it is too hard on both legs to get around in the deep shavings and made the bad leg worse and strained/hurt the good leg.They’re babies.
You might be able to carefully tape the tendon in place but monitor it so you don’t do more damage.
Take big shavings out.

Take the large chips out and put in non slip surface. I used large shavings once and it is too hard on both legs to get around in the deep shavings and made the bad leg worse and strained/hurt the good leg.They’re babies.
You might be able to carefully tape the tendon in place but monitor it so you don’t do more damage.
Take big shavings out.
Looks like Boombop

I’m not talking about splayed leg. That’s easily fixed with a day of hobbles. Same with curled toes. I have never been successful at fixing a slipped tendon in chicks.
I have a 48hr old chick that was in hobbles but after looking closer it’s definitely a slipped tendon. When I move the tendon back in place the leg becomes super straight and difficult to bend. But slips back immediately when I let go. It’s a nice strong chick otherwise. I normally just cull slipped tendons and not waste the time trying to feed/care and fix a slipped tendon chick.

I successfully treated it with my 24 hour old chick. I did all the steps.
1. Vitamins fed via syringe (sge refused to eat)
2. Massaged legs and set tendon
3. Splint legs high up to keep them straight
4. Taped toes apart and ankles flexed to keep muscle memory
5. Made chicken chair with food and water in front. Kept in brooder supervised so she could be social then incubator at night.
6. Treated worked. She walked upright within 5 hours of it.
7. Retrained her to walk (PT)
8. She tried to walk with splay leg.
9. Caught it early and hobbled her legs.
10. 24 hours in hobbles and we will test it out tomorrow morning.

She has tony wings, big belly, soft bones, is not eating but can poop. We call her Linda (Listen Linda).
Treated slipped tendon successfully. Hope she starts eating soon! I work tomorrow and cant keep her in my homemade ICU.

I’m not talking about splayed leg. That’s easily fixed with a day of hobbles. Same with curled toes. I have never been successful at fixing a slipped tendon in chicks.
I have a 48hr old chick that was in hobbles but after looking closer it’s definitely a slipped tendon. When I move the tendon back in place the leg becomes super straight and difficult to bend. But slips back immediately when I let go. It’s a nice strong chick otherwise. I normally just cull slipped tendons and not waste the time trying to feed/care and fix a slipped tendon chick.
I successfully treated a slipped tendon in a 4 day old chick last year. Hobbles is now thriving alongside her two sisters at our school. She hatched from a school hatch project and had a splayed leg/curled toes and a slipped tendon on the other. It was the most exhausting week of trial and error and reading up on everything I could but SO rewarding and it makes me so happy every morning I come in to see her.

This video step by step is amazing. I also tracked down the woman in the video and had a phone call with her to talk me through what to do if it didn’t work the first time. She was so supportive.

I have a d’uccle chick in the same boat :( first time incubating eggs, I noticed the curly toes on about day two and when I took the shoes off her, her toes were right she was hopping around on one leg. Her Achilles is defintely slipped but her leg moves in ways it shouldn’t suggesting a torn or damaged collateral ligament. I have her leg bandaged but she hates it, cheeps a lot and way less mobile. I tried to make a standing chair support for her to keep the leg in the right rotation but the little brat kept getting out of it. Debating about whether to cull her if bandaging doesn’t work. As a bantam I think s(he) could do fine as a one legger but I worry not so much in a flock with larger birds she can’t get away from easily :/
don't kill that one if you can afford it, seems to have a cool personality and would be a fun bird to sit back and watch from the porch, if you can heal them.

I successfully treated a slipped tendon in a 4 day old chick last year. Hobbles is now thriving alongside her two sisters at our school. She hatched from a school hatch project and had a splayed leg/curled toes and a slipped tendon on the other. It was the most exhausting week of trial and error and reading up on everything I could but SO rewarding and it makes me so happy every morning I come in to see her.
I've got a chick with a slipped tendon. It's been a difficult time. It had constipation and sticky poop so I started curing that and it's a lot better. I then noticed the slipped tendon and began researching. It's now a week old and I noticed that there's an injury where the tendon is. I feel so sad to see it but I've done a chick chair and hope that I've bandaged it correctly. Should I check in 24 hours? Even though there's an injury...or wait longer?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Your post gave me hope 🤗

Back
Top Bottom