Has anyone SUCCESSFULLY cured a slipped tendon?

chickenmomma16

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Buckley, Washington
I’m not talking about splayed leg. That’s easily fixed with a day of hobbles. Same with curled toes. I have never been successful at fixing a slipped tendon in chicks.
I have a 48hr old chick that was in hobbles but after looking closer it’s definitely a slipped tendon. When I move the tendon back in place the leg becomes super straight and difficult to bend. But slips back immediately when I let go. It’s a nice strong chick otherwise. I normally just cull slipped tendons and not waste the time trying to feed/care and fix a slipped tendon chick.

Some pics of him during, straight after and now.

Attachments

• IMG_20210821_105423.jpg
    IMG_20210821_105423.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20210825_090814.jpg
    IMG_20210825_090814.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20220131_161535.jpg
    IMG_20220131_161535.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 153
I think the bandage looks perfect and as soon as 24 hours after you could remove it to see if its healed, slightly longer would be better though.
I dont see any heat which could be why she is cheeping as she still needs to be kept warm, also if shes lonely. Possibly give her a little mirror or cuddily toy to cuddle with.
She has heat and two companions, I just picked her up for photos and the light ruins camera exposure. I unwrapped at 24 hours and rewrapped cause it was still slipped. Got the eggs from a friend and they both had curly toes, not sure what her flock eats but she has 400+ birds so maybe not as good quality feed. The chick I hatched from my own eggs is fat and happy. Already supplementing vit b.

Last edited:
We had a chick with a slipped tendon last year, he is now a fully grown, healthy cockerel.
Pull the leg back and manipulate the tendon back into position, you will feel it like a rubber band, when in place the leg will feel smooth. Then wrap the leg in this position and use a chick chair, we used a pot noodle tub. We kept him like this for about 2-3 days keeping an eye on the bandage to make sure it didnt get too tight, then when we took it off he was very wobbily but was able to stand and walk within a few minutes. We gave b12 and vitamins for a week aswell for strength.

I have never had a chick with a slipped tendon, but they are very hard to diagnose and to fix. Some chicks are born with leg bone deformities that are permanent, and those include varus or valgus deformity and twisted tendon. Sometimes leg bone deformities may be mistaken for slipped tendon. I would be tempted to see if the chick can learn to walk around on it’s own to learn to adapt. Here is a good thread about treatment, and starting in post 11 or 12, they give details about a vet visit:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peachick-with-slipped-tendon.1092979/

Here is an article about leg bone deformities:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/leg-health-in-large-broilers
That’s what I’m gathering. It’s a hard fix. These were hatched for someone else, I’ll likely cull it this evening. I don’t have the time or energy at 8mo pregnant to do physical therapy on a chick. I can feel the tendon out of place and the hock is swollen. I’m not one to keep pet chickens around either as a breeder and with feed prices as they are. ☹️ Culling unfortunately is probably the best option in my situation.

I think the bandage looks perfect and as soon as 24 hours after you could remove it to see if its healed, slightly longer would be better though.
I dont see any heat which could be why she is cheeping as she still needs to be kept warm, also if shes lonely. Possibly give her a little mirror or cuddily toy to cuddle with.

Leg problems are hard to diagnose exactly. Most are hard to treat, and some are not treatable. Always start a vitamin such as B complex or one that contains b2 riboflavin for leg and curled toe issues. Usually, if the chicken can learn to get around with the leg issue on her own, that is best for survival. Many times splints can get in the way, or slip and get too tight, cutting off circulation. Good luck, I hope the chick improves.

I’m not talking about splayed leg. That’s easily fixed with a day of hobbles. Same with curled toes. I have never been successful at fixing a slipped tendon in chicks.
I have a 48hr old chick that was in hobbles but after looking closer it’s definitely a slipped tendon. When I move the tendon back in place the leg becomes super straight and difficult to bend. But slips back immediately when I let go. It’s a nice strong chick otherwise. I normally just cull slipped tendons and not waste the time trying to feed/care and fix a slipped tendon chick.

I successfully treated it with my 24 hour old chick. I did all the steps.
1. Vitamins fed via syringe (sge refused to eat)
2. Massaged legs and set tendon
3. Splint legs high up to keep them straight
4. Taped toes apart and ankles flexed to keep muscle memory
5. Made chicken chair with food and water in front. Kept in brooder supervised so she could be social then incubator at night.
6. Treated worked. She walked upright within 5 hours of it.
7. Retrained her to walk (PT)
8. She tried to walk with splay leg.
9. Caught it early and hobbled her legs.
10. 24 hours in hobbles and we will test it out tomorrow morning.

She has tony wings, big belly, soft bones, is not eating but can poop. We call her Linda (Listen Linda).
Treated slipped tendon successfully. Hope she starts eating soon! I work tomorrow and cant keep her in my homemade ICU.

I have never had a chick with a slipped tendon, but they are very hard to diagnose and to fix. Some chicks are born with leg bone deformities that are permanent, and those include varus or valgus deformity and twisted tendon. Sometimes leg bone deformities may be mistaken for slipped tendon. I would be tempted to see if the chick can learn to walk around on it’s own to learn to adapt. Here is a good thread about treatment, and starting in post 11 or 12, they give details about a vet visit:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peachick-with-slipped-tendon.1092979/

Here is an article about leg bone deformities:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/leg-health-in-large-broilers

I have a d’uccle chick in the same boat :( first time incubating eggs, I noticed the curly toes on about day two and when I took the shoes off her, her toes were right she was hopping around on one leg. Her Achilles is defintely slipped but her leg moves in ways it shouldn’t suggesting a torn or damaged collateral ligament. I have her leg bandaged but she hates it, cheeps a lot and way less mobile. I tried to make a standing chair support for her to keep the leg in the right rotation but the little brat kept getting out of it. Debating about whether to cull her if bandaging doesn’t work. As a bantam I think s(he) could do fine as a one legger but I worry not so much in a flock with larger birds she can’t get away from easily :/

Attachments

• 6B10AA0F-A2C5-4465-9DF5-77E64CD9752F.jpeg
    6B10AA0F-A2C5-4465-9DF5-77E64CD9752F.jpeg
    336.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 87DA3716-72E7-4D01-BFBF-7208013476AF.jpeg
    87DA3716-72E7-4D01-BFBF-7208013476AF.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 583CE318-7B01-48C1-88CB-679290F5AD85.jpeg
    583CE318-7B01-48C1-88CB-679290F5AD85.jpeg
    470.8 KB · Views: 131
  • E5BECF0E-D012-4033-A437-0FD435D43CB5.jpeg
    E5BECF0E-D012-4033-A437-0FD435D43CB5.jpeg