Has anyone tried "Waterglassing" to preserve eggs?

Bhapimama

Songster
Jul 30, 2017
Blue Lake, CA
I stumbled across a YouTube video today that demonstrates how to preserve fresh eggs by submerging them in a bath of water and hydrated lime. Apparently they keep this way for eight plus months. I found a couple of videos that talked about it and one where she actually came back 8 months later and compared the egg to a freshly laid egg and also did the float test. Looks promising amd I'm just wondering if any on here has tried it. Please share your experience!

I never have extra eggs to put up or I'd try it. I've watched a video about it also. It seems like a great idea for winter, especially if you bake. I assume the fresh flavor would be affected somewhat and am curious to know.

Why? With a refrigerator and a freezer, I'll stick with 'modern' rather than 'pre-electricity'. In the good old days, hens slowed or stopped production over winter, only a few were kept through winter anyway, and eggs were in short supply, unless this actually worked. Now, who needs it?
Mary

I never have eggs to "store" my 3 girls are barely enough to supply or daily needs. Yes we eat a lot of eggs, lol. I have heard of people that cover eggs in wax, to store for long periods. I watched a show about preppers once and that's what one woman did.

I wouldn't want to dedicate fridge space to extra eggs in the winter so waterglassing would be appealing to me. Keep in mind it's a cool weather storage technique. For me, extra eggs would have to be gathered fairly late in the year since sumber is too hot.

Why? With a refrigerator and a freezer, I'll stick with 'modern' rather than 'pre-electricity'. In the good old days, hens slowed or stopped production over winter, only a few were kept through winter anyway, and eggs were in short supply, unless this actually worked. Now, who needs it?
Mary
Well .... I choose not to use artificial light to keep my hens laying so that means little to no eggs in the winter. How long do eggs keep in the fridge....? Would they last 8 months or more? (Honest question.) And even if they do... It would take a lot of space in the fridge to save enough eggs to get through the winter. I really hate buying store bought eggs, knowing that I'm supporting an industry that in my view is cruel.

Back
Top Bottom