has anyones power ever gone off while incubating?

It happens all the time around here to me. Best thing I can do is keep the generator fueled up and ready to run the incubators. As sad as it sounds, they are my main priority when the power goes out, heat lamps also over chicks already. Yep, I am addicted!

I have lost it after they hatched and were only a day or two old. I had them in my basement in an enclosed circle for a brooder. So of course they had no heat source with the power out so i put a heavy blanket over top to insulate them. The poer came back after about 12 hours and they all made it out fine!!

It has happened to a lot of people on by. Some people say that one or two hours don't really make a difference. Others say overnight, dont make a difference. Then others say to wrap the incubator in a blanket if its a long term outage.
smile.png

My power went off for 3-4 hours on Tuesday of this week. I have 155 in the bator and had 40 in the hatcher. I haven't had a chance to really candle the 155 in the bator. But of the 40 in the hatcher I got 34 to still hatch. The six that didn't hatch ...4 died before they could even hatch and 2 were quitters back somewhere in the hatch. I think the 4 quit because they got to cold and were the farthest from the heat source in lockdown

I had a two eggs in the incubator for twelve hours and the electricity went out and stayed out for six days. The two eggs were from a hen that had just disappeared that day before and I was planning on trying to hatch about a half a dozen of hers since she was such a prolific layer. Had just two of her eggs so put them in the bator early in the morning and at about 5:30 at night the power went out and stayed out. I just could not think about it because it upset me. So, I left them sit in our living in the dark with us for those six days and when the electricity came back on, I decided the heck with it. I wasn't hatching anymore that year, so I'd just let them incubate in there until they started stinking. It didn't happened. Twenty days later I had two chicks - a roo Handsome and hen Miracle. MIracle is still here. One of my most friendliest chickens. She loves to eat the snow and ice off my boot when I enter the coop.
lol.png

Quote:
We have a small one and had it at that time but since it could only power three things we decided on the aquarium - we lost a whole aquarium a couple years before because of a power outage and it wasn't happening again), the chicken coop because we had some young ones in there and it was way below freezing and one light in the house. I cooked over the fireplace with our cast iron cookware from our camper and what a mess when it was all over. Soot, ashes every where. It took me days to scrub up everything.

We had sheer winds last year , just as my Barnveldor eggs were at half way through there incubation .I actually had my wife bring the incubator over to my inlaws ( covered with a warm blanket ) and I kept it there for two days till the power came back on ( a lot of power lines down , poles snapped ) .I managed to get two chicks to hatch out of twenty six eggs , but the died .The rest of the eggs were clear , so the seller took me for a ride I think .The temp only dropped a few degrees during transport, we warmed up the SUV before transporting and it sure made a difference .

Back
Top Bottom