Has my little boy got bumblefoot and how do i fix it??

Leader Bee

Songster
Jun 22, 2018
This foot feels hot to the touch where the black mark is. His other foot feels normal???

Attachments

• IMG_20210418_195511.jpg
    IMG_20210418_195511.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210418_201435.jpg
    IMG_20210418_201435.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210418_201400.jpg
    IMG_20210418_201400.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 4
Thats what i thought 😭

I gave his feet a soak in a hot bath tonight but i will be getting hold of some epsom salts for him too...but past that i dont know how i should begin to treat it???

This foot feels hot to the touch where the black mark is. His other foot feels normal???
Looks like bumblefoot. Does it feel hard if you press on it -- like there's something underneath the skin?
Under that scab, there will be pus -- it might be gooey and gross, or it might be a hard kernel -- and you need to get that out. Doing a quick site search for bumblefoot treatments should help you get started.

It doesnt feel hard or particularly pussy at the moment, just a tiny bit swollen and warm to the touch....someone mentioned lots of soaking in warm water, neosporin without oain relief and then gently pulling away the black oart with tweezers???

Thats what i thought 😭

I gave his feet a soak in a hot bath tonight but i will be getting hold of some epsom salts for him too...but past that i dont know how i should begin to treat it???
A vet could basically just drain it for you, wrap it, show you how to care for it, and they might also want to prescribe antibiotics like Cephelexin, doxycycline, among others to really kill off the bacteria.

It doesnt feel hard or particularly pussy at the moment, just a tiny bit swollen and warm to the touch....someone mentioned lots of soaking in warm water, neosporin without oain relief and then gently pulling away the black oart with tweezers???
That’s pretty much the just of it.

Also I want to say, there’s a lot of drama associated with even the mention of bumblefoot, not so much here but especially on Facebook where if someone has a bird with it people immediatyly go on the attack and assume the worst about the owner.
Bumblefoot is definitely associated with poor sanitation because it really raises the risk of getting it, but in a lot of cases all it takes is getting the wrong thorn, scratch, crack at the wrong time and place to get bumblefoot.

I’ve seen people’s ducks and geese that live in immaculate conditions get it. They can get it from walking on rough surfaces like asphalt or gravel, they can get it from a bug bite, they can get if from stepping on something sharp, or from having dry cracked feet, any abrasion the bacteria can get in.
So in many situations it doesn’t reflect on the care the bird is getting if they get bumblefoot, it’s one of those things that just happens. Don’t let people on facebook beat up on you.

Back
Top Bottom