Hatch-A-Long (May-June)

I candled my eggs tonight and was very disappointed to find out only 2 of my 34 shipped eggs actually had a (hopefully) live chick inside (Very bummed right now) not to mention one of the two is from MY chickens so... I'm really hopping both of those will hatch otherwise I'm going to be really really sad. I wish the other chick was in one I actually bought but you've gotta be happy with what you get. I'm hopping and praying right now that I get at least two....

I am so sorry.
hugs.gif

Ok, I have a question. I had one lone chick hatch yesterday which was day 21. She is very healthy but she seems very stressed that she is by herself. She keeps jumping at the side of the incubator and won't stop chirping. The other eggs are wiggling but they have not pipped and I can not tell if they are chirping because the lone chick is too loud. Should I take the chick out and put her in the brooder or should I still have hope that it is not too late for the others and leave her in there?

I'm super bummed out. I left for vacation yesterday and left my older brother in charge of my incubator. It was lockdown day and I'm due to be back on hatch day so all he had to do was keep the humidity and temp right. Well, I got a call at about eight last night saying that the incubator element has burned out after I left and the temp was down to sixty five :( He tried to rig up something with a heat lamp but I don't expect any to hatch now.

Last edited:
Ok, I have a question. I had one lone chick hatch yesterday which was day 21. She is very healthy but she seems very stressed that she is by herself. She keeps jumping at the side of the incubator and won't stop chirping. The other eggs are wiggling but they have not pipped and I can not tell if they are chirping because the lone chick is too loud. Should I take the chick out and put her in the brooder or should I still have hope that it is not too late for the others and leave her in there?
I would leave her there for now.
I'm super bummed out. I left for vacation yesterday and left my older brother in charge of my incubator. It was lockdown day and I'm due to be back on hatch day so all he had to do was keep the humidity and temp right. Well, I got a call at about eight last night saying that the incubator element has burned out after I left and the temp was down to sixty five
sad.png
He tried to rig up something with a heat lamp but I don't expect any to hatch now.
The chicks should actually be producing their own heat by this point, so they might still surprise you.

I'm super bummed out. I left for vacation yesterday and left my older brother in charge of my incubator. It was lockdown day and I'm due to be back on hatch day so all he had to do was keep the humidity and temp right. Well, I got a call at about eight last night saying that the incubator element has burned out after I left and the temp was down to sixty five
sad.png
He tried to rig up something with a heat lamp but I don't expect any to hatch now.
Oh NO!!!!!!! I hope you get some to hatch. So Sorry!!

Thanks, I really hope some hatch! I'm a little more hopeful now :) My brother has a heat lamp shining through the incubator windows and said the temp is staying steady at 100. He brought them over to his house (next door) and everything so he could keep an eye on them. He's never dealt with chickens before so I'm giving him major credit ;)

Brier~ maybe you should let him hold a fuzzball... he won't beable to resist them then!
Mine are in lockdown....yay! My millie fleur eggs are ify.. not sure if those with hatch, but my B.O. and E.E.s look great :)

caitanni: LOL Yes, we have "babies" according to our 8 yo!!
wink.png
(chicks and 4 peachicks)

She sings to all the babies and talks to them and brings the older ones treats everyday (they POUR out of the coop at the sound of her voice) and does some of her out loud reading to them!. We have close to 300 (from about 2 1/2 mo to just hatched) chickens and 4 peachicks plus the ones hatching and some more in ano. incubator we just set last wk and about 60 RIR that should be hatching in a friend's incubator this week. She is esp. fond of the babies she hatched last time (our first hatch) and is busting with pride today b/c 2 Buff Orpringtons and one True Blue Americana has hatched today!!!!! More have pipped!!

I am under strict instructions not to tell her how many chicks have hatched over night when she gets up - she wants to see for herself!!

By my count yesterday was day 21 and I thought I had done something wrong and we weren't going to have any babies - so I am THRILLED that Jill already has 3 and more pipping. We set 2 doz (Buff and Americanas), then set ano 11 a day and a half later (Purebreed mixed and bantys) - so should be exciting week! as these hatch!!

We NEED a big, cabinet incubator badly, but just can't swing it right now. We have a LG and a Hovabator. LG hatching now. Hovabator - we bought used - our first hatch in it we set last week. It has Speckled Sussex, Buff Orpingtons and Peafowl. We have red sex link waiting on an incubator and just bought our first duck eggs ....... LG will be full again as soon as this hatch is finished!

One of our 20 yo triplets came up today and got to see the second one hatch! She was SO excited! It was the first time she had ever seen anything like that!

Amanda
MOT + 1
Mother of Triplets Plus One (and a sil & dil)
.........and lots and lots of chicken "babies" and a few peafowl, a sr citizen yellow lab, 2 shipoo youngsters, and a lionhead bunny
and married to my patient prince charming 32 yrs+
My cup runneth over with gratefulness to God!!

Hi everyone! I had a very poor hatch of shipped eggs. Despite Wisher1000's wonderful packaging, they came a long way and were beat up. Out of 14 eggs 1 chick hatched. 3 were early deaths, 4 were late deaths, and 7 were scrambled. The chick that hatched is an adorable Silver Campine. She is very healthy and will run around the brooder, eat, and drink. I am however looking for 1 or 2 other chicks so that she doesn't have to be alone.

Here is the Silver Campine chick. I still need a name for her.

She likes to cuddle with her new friend mirror.

So after two really bad hatches on shipped eggs I will definitely get local eggs next time. Even with a great packaging job like Wisher1000's, shipping eggs is very hard on the eggs.

I hope that everybody's eggs are doing great!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom