"Hatch a Long" Setting eggs June 7th

I set 6 eggs in the incubator on may 31. Discarded one this morning. I have no idea what I am doing! Jerseyhen gave me the eggs. I am sure now, she is a chicken pusher. Feeding addictions! Not sure what they are as she has a large mixed flock. I have named the mini incubator the "mystery machine" …
Barbi

Barbi: I so would like to do the mystery hatch myself! I have 23 hens and 1 roo, with at least a dozen different breeds (Roo is a Lav Orp) so it would be pretty interesting to see what came out of it! If I was ok with butchering cockerals I would do it in a flash....so far I dont have the stomach to butcher or sell the boys for butchering so for now I am only doing pure breds and crossing my fingers to find good homes for them!

How do/did you determine to toss the one egg? I always play the "What if" game and scared to toss any :p

Angie...it was clear when I candled. The others all had veining so at 10 days I took a chance. Cracked it and it was just an egg. Not even a bullseye so was infertile. I am learning!

Brznwench: Good to know -thanks for the update!

Found one egg on the floor this morning-put it back under broody (Eggs are on day 3-4) I numbered the eggs so will track and see if that stopped it from developing.

6 days left on the incubator counter. Down to 4 now. The questionable egg got tossed after I did a sniff test. It has been sloshy looking on candle for past week. The other 4 all look good and I see movement in all of them! This is so exciting
2747.png

Yeah BRznwench! Keep us posted please?

I candled my week old eggs (under broodys) and at least 26 of the 31 look viable!! I even saw movement in the eggs at this stage!!

My broody hen, who I hatched last August, has just hatched 2 of her 4 eggs
big_smile.png

One exploded and another chick pipped but then died suddenly inside the egg
barnie.gif

However, I do have another 9 in my incubator who are due to hatch Thursday, 19th of June.

Keep me posted with photos of your hatch
D.gif
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom