Hatch Along - Setting eggs June 7th.....anyone else?

We just candled the eggs for the first time (day 12), it doesn't look good for Scott's BLRW...several of them look like they have blood rings, some nothing at all. I think of 10 there were two for sure developing. One of the Golden Lakenvelders looked empty, but the other one looked good. I put them all back..'m not that experienced with candling so I'll give it a few more days.

Here is my egg update!

Out of the 28 eggs I started with, I have 16 eggs growing at the end of day 13! It was pretty dry and warmer that it has been, today so I had a little bit of a humidity issue but with a few tweaks, all is well!

How is everyone else doing? Waiting patiently?
lol.png

On day 12 you should see some babies moving around in the eggs. You should be able to see the air cell at the big end of the egg and then a dark mass (the baby) and lighter mass (the yoke). Did you notice any of that at all? I'm crossing my fingers for you!
fl.gif

Yes we saw some babies moving...Scott is just disappointed because we got 10 BLRW eggs and of them, only 2 are developing. He is just bummed. We have 20 eggs total.

Esther is adorable. My EE Hen Boo is a little skiddish, but is coming around. She knows her name when I call her
love.gif

Of my hens eggs that I candled all are developing. From what I can see in the B/B/S English Orphs they look good (minus the cracked one I had to take out) as for the Blue and Black Marans forget it I can't see a thing even with my high intensity scope, and the Olive Egger eggs.. arg barely any light gets in. It is like Christmas staring at all these presents and not being able to see what is inside!

*sits on hands*

I'm on day 14. Began with 29 eggs, down to 26. I think they are all living. I can see movement in the lighter colored eggs, but only outlines of the babies in the darker eggs.

My temp has been quickly increasing requiring some tweaks (still air/homemade cooler incubator) and I am trying options for humidity, preparing for lock down. I have 2 concerns about lock down and I am trying to figure it out now. What is the best way to stop the temp from increasing too much during lock down? My humidity : I've been running between 35-45 so far, with effort. I added a pad in addition to my sponge and just placed a dropper outside the incubator to add moisture without having to disturb things much. I'm around 55% now.

How important is following lock down rules? Should I really make a huge effort to try to regulate my temp and humidity with a completely sealed incubator, i.e. new light bulb? turn the light off for cool down?

Esther is adorable. My EE Hen Boo is a little skiddish, but is coming around. She knows her name when I call her
love.gif

Of my hens eggs that I candled all are developing. From what I can see in the B/B/S English Orphs they look good (minus the cracked one I had to take out) as for the Blue and Black Marans forget it I can't see a thing even with my high intensity scope, and the Olive Egger eggs.. arg barely any light gets in. It is like Christmas staring at all these presents and not being able to see what is inside!

*sits on hands*
Thank you!! She is one awesome chicken. We do have another little EE that is skiddish too! We call her Little Beans.
smile.png

That would be tough not being able to see in them! I guess you will know when the eggs start wiggling!

Stephanie739 I have been wondering this myself. I am between 44 and 55 depending. I have played with the vent on my Eco but it says to not go under 1/3 open. I have one channel with two sponges and put have a sponge in the second because I was having issues going above 40%. Having to jump even higher during lockdown may prove interesting, I think I am going to have to get those dropper things to squirt water down into the channels. I almost wish that hydro pump thing they sell wasn't 100+ dollars, I might have a weak moment and get it. Though I am trying hard to not hatch anymore until ducks next year. Seeing as I was only going to get 4 more chickens and now have 21 in the oven I have a feeling I might fail on my own promise.

Back
Top Bottom