Hatch Along - Setting eggs June 7th.....anyone else?

shardean

Chirping
7 Years
May 12, 2012
Sequim, Washington
Hard to believe it's lock down time already. I will lock down tonight. I think I will remove the clear eggs...never candled before this batch! But most are dark with an air cell...but a dozen look clear. And by removing them I will give the others more room to hatch! This is my first batch of purchased eggs...so real nervous!

FlyRobinFly

Songster
8 Years
Oct 31, 2011
I will be locking down tonight too. I'm also using the Brinsea Eco 20 and have found it hard to keep the humidity where it's supposed to be. I think sponges, or a wet paper towel is good.

Hoping we all have chick pics to share later this week!

Seslar

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 5, 2012
WA State
I am locking down Tuesday night. Chicks due Friday evening, give or take. I only have three of eight eggs that developed. Fingers crossed for healthy hatches! For everyone!

DeannaOR

Songster
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
Colton, Oregon
How in the world can you see inside your Marans eggs? I can't see anything! I can't get my temp up....but my humidity is good.
I'm not sure about your vent...I think I'm supposed to leave mine in until after hatching.

FlyRobinFly

Songster
8 Years
Oct 31, 2011
How in the world can you see inside your Marans eggs? I can't see anything! I can't get my temp up....but my humidity is good.
I'm not sure about your vent...I think I'm supposed to leave mine in until after hatching.
Hi Deanna, I found with a Marans egg a LED flashlight with the edges taped worked better than the OvaScope. Still, it's hard to see.

DeannaOR

Songster
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
Colton, Oregon
I am using the strongest LED flashlight I could find...didn't tape the edges, but still, they are so dark. We are just calling them the surprise eggs.

boxedcow

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 11, 2011
Southampton, Massachusetts
I couldn't see in my marans either. It is more at the point now they are black vs. i can't see in them lol. As this is my first time hatching I think i'm just going to leave them alone for now. I also think I am going to keep the vent closed or almost closed to help with the humidity. I have read that it goes up when they start to hatch, so when I see cracks and such I will start to open the vent and monitor the temp so that enough oxygen gets in there.

-Denise

Top Bottom