Hatch-Along - Setting eggs on 2/8/13 Anyone want to join me?

Set 30 eggs on the 8th. 28 of them have made it through and so far 21 have either hatched or pipped. Some of the ones with no pips have been rocking, so there is hope that I will have a pretty good hatch rate. These guys seem to pip, then not do much for a long time till they decide to make a run for it and then they break out within 90 minutes.

Had to break the rules and open the incubator to remove some of the chicks. They were bowling with the unhatched eggs just a little too much for my liking. The brooder is filling at a steady pace.
jumpy.gif

Also picked up three RIR chicks from the feed store today. They have a special where you get free chicks when you buy a 40 or 50# bag of feed. Good thing I needed some rabbit food. May have to make an excuse to pick up a bag of chicken scratch this weekend and get some more freebies.

Baby bunnies and chicks on the same weekend. Lots of fun around the mini-farm!

Ask before buying the scratch for the chicks. I thought the same thing last year but since other birds eat scratch they didn't include the chicks with that bag. I still walked out with a dozen chicks that trip. They went to kids thinking of doing poultry with 4-H.

Great hatching!

Quite the assortment of markings and colors.
love.gif
Adorable
Still no sign of my fuzzy butts, there is movement in 2, but no pipping. Hope everyones fuzzy butts are doing ok.
How long were they in lock down before the started rocking, Hoping your babies show up soon.
Set 30 eggs on the 8th. 28 of them have made it through and so far 21 have either hatched or pipped. Some of the ones with no pips have been rocking, so there is hope that I will have a pretty good hatch rate. These guys seem to pip, then not do much for a long time till they decide to make a run for it and then they break out within 90 minutes.

Had to break the rules and open the incubator to remove some of the chicks. They were bowling with the unhatched eggs just a little too much for my liking. The brooder is filling at a steady pace.
jumpy.gif

Also picked up three RIR chicks from the feed store today. They have a special where you get free chicks when you buy a 40 or 50# bag of feed. Good thing I needed some rabbit food. May have to make an excuse to pick up a bag of chicken scratch this weekend and get some more freebies.

Baby bunnies and chicks on the same weekend. Lots of fun around the mini-farm!
goodpost.gif
Funny chickens bowling!!!

Yopeee!!!!! I finally have pips, 3 eggs pupped and 1 you can hear bashing his little head furiosly against the inside of the egg lol. Every now and then he stopps and lets out several very frustrated cheeps. OR4-hmom, congrats they r soooo sweet, well done all, i wasnt this excited about my kids being born lol.

Well, I now have three hatched... Went out to the barn to shut up all the coops, had two possum's in the lower barn keeping the pig company.. Have to set the traps now.. came back in, three more about thru the shells..

They are having a ball rolling eggs around in the bator...
jumpy.gif

I haven't seen sibling bowling since I hatch in cartons but it sounds hilarious and a little nerve racking.

Great discovery on the possoms before they caused any more problems. Varmits are so sneaky and determined.

Your babies are quick ones, all mine seem to take their own sweet time.

Last edited:
Mine went into the incubator on the 8th but nothing seems to be happening yet. This is my first hatch. Should I give up yet? Is all hope gone? There doesn't seem to be rocking, pipping or anything. I'm so disappointed but i don't want to give up hope if it's too early. Help!!!

Mine went into the incubator on the 8th but nothing seems to be happening yet. This is my first hatch. Should I give up yet? Is all hope gone? There doesn't seem to be rocking, pipping or anything. I'm so disappointed but i don't want to give up hope if it's too early. Help!!!
Are you sure your temperatures were good? if they were low that delays the hatch. Have you tried talking to them or singing to them? Here's a new one...carefully place a closed jar of water on top of the bator and sit real still...then try talking to the eggs and see if the water starts to shake :) if you hatch in cartons they may not move, but the water is sensitive to the slightest movements in the box....

Back
Top Bottom