Hatch-Along - Setting eggs this weekend (Jan5/6) WHOS WITH ME!

So i just wanted to update everyone on my eggs. If you can all remember, i had eggs shipped in. It took 5 days to arrive at my house and the mailman left my eggs on the concrete floor of my garage which was very cold (winter here). Last night when i broke down and candled my eggs i didn't see anything. They are Welsummer eggs, so they are very dark so i will give them a few more weeks. To make things worse i had three eggs explode in my bator. The temp is holding steady at 101 degrees (i have a still air LG). Does anyone have advice?
Oh goodness!! That is aweful! I am sorry!
hugs.gif

I am so sorry. I didn't think they would explode so soon. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will read and help. I don't have Welsummers but I do have pure BCM I could give you. I'm planning on separating the EE rooster from the rest as soon as the turkeys go (any day, any day). I think I have to have them tested before I can share but that wouldn't be a problem. Let me know if I can help. I had wanted Barnevelders and Welsummers but read that Barnevelder's aren't so good in the cold. Let me know if I can help. Sue. (Again, so sorry)

I am so sorry. I didn't think they would explode so soon. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will read and help. I don't have Welsummers but I do have pure BCM I could give you. I'm planning on separating the EE rooster from the rest as soon as the turkeys go (any day, any day). I think I have to have them tested before I can share but that wouldn't be a problem. Let me know if I can help. I had wanted Barnevelders and Welsummers but read that Barnevelder's aren't so good in the cold. Let me know if I can help. Sue. (Again, so sorry)
Thank you for your support. I think it is a little to early to give up on these eggs. Because they are so dark i will wait awhile before i give up on them. Are you a breeder then? I think i will order some BCM in the spring, they are very beautiful birds. I was in between buying barnevelders and welsummers but like you said Barnevelders are bad in the winter, so i bought Welsummer eggs. I should've waited a week or two to order, being so close to Christmas i should've known the post office would still be congested. I will keep everyone updated if i see any development.

Sorry too Speckled Hen
hugs.gif
.... my Wellies- 10 hens aren't too hot to trot either in the winter. Out of 10, I'm getting maybe 1 egg daily. I hated buying store bought eggs but with all the baking I was doing over the holidays I need to make sure I had extras. But I love the dark speckled eggs so can't complain!

So to update on my situation- I never did set eggs with everyone on this thread. The incubator I ordered never got shipped - some lame story about a lost package, so keeping all fingers and toes that it comes tomorrow per the tracking. Wishing everyone 100% hatches!!

So i just wanted to update everyone on my eggs. If you can all remember, i had eggs shipped in. It took 5 days to arrive at my house and the mailman left my eggs on the concrete floor of my garage which was very cold (winter here). Last night when i broke down and candled my eggs i didn't see anything. They are Welsummer eggs, so they are very dark so i will give them a few more weeks. To make things worse i had three eggs explode in my bator. The temp is holding steady at 101 degrees (i have a still air LG). Does anyone have advice?
Oh my goodness! How sad and frustrating! My Welsummer eggs have been very difficult to candle too. All I was able to make out was that half of the egg was dark. I couldn't see any veins or movement. I wouldn't give up yet. Maybe the breeder mixed in some old eggs accidentally? I guess you never can tell. Your temp sounds good. Have you checked the temp at the floor and the temp at the top of the eggs? I found a 6 degree difference between those two temps in my still air LG. Now I have my thermometer sensor taped to the center of the egg. My temp has been varying between 99 and 100 consistently. I don't think one degree higher should make your eggs explode but I was very surprised to note the 2 temperature extremes in my own LG. Good luck I hope the rest of your eggs are developing as they should. Fingers crossed for you!

Again with the bad fluctuating this morning, I almost had a heart attack when I saw the temp at 103 on the blub thermo on the eggs. I'm really not sure what is going on. I think I'll be shocked if anything hatches now. I'm supposed to candle today, but I think I might hold off a day or two and check them at day 10, since I have so many marans and a lot of issues.

Oh no! Exploding eggs are a bad situation! I had this happen to me last spring. I was lucky and still managed to hatch 30%. The bacteria can contaminate and kill your entire batch.

First things first, make sure all bad eggs are removed, and disinfect the entire incubator as quickly as possible. After that, all you can do is wait and hope the rest of the eggs make it. Sorry for the dire advice. Don't give up on the rest of your eggs by any means, but keep an eye on them,

I candled 2 days early I just coudnt wait , I wanted to candle monday but I candled late last night.
Shipped Orpinton eggs in my brinsea mini eco 8 eggs. All 8 had bad wonky or movble air cells that were oddly shaped and I think to big , Out of the 8 shipped eggs 2 were clear, 1 of those had crystalized stuff seeping thru the shell. 3 had viens or an embryo bouncing around in there and 3 were early quitters with blood rings. So I am 3/8 on the orp egg on day 7/8 . I think I may have been able to save more if I could have found a way to set them fat end up instead of on there sides becuase of the air cells but I just coudnt figure out how to fit 8 BIG fat orp eggs like that in my tiny little mini eco.

I had 8 eggs set up in a box with a light as an experment but they started dying of so I switched them to my LG forced air so out of 8 2+ week old serama eggs all of them grew but 4 quit and 4 have movement. So Im 4/8 on my experment eggs on day 11/12

Next in the LG forced air I have
4 shipped bob white eggs 1 is clear and the other 3 have definate movement. So I am 3/4 of the bob white eggs on day 6/7

12 store bought rock island brown fertile eggs. 9 eggs had viens or embryo movement. 3 were possible blood rings so I am at 9/12 on day 6/7 for these.

3 serama eggs in the LG (diffrent from the experment group) all 3 eggs show embryo movement on day 6/7

15 cortunix quail eggs These guys are hard to see in so I went by how dark they were if I coudnt see viens. 12 were dark or had viens or movement , 1 had a blood ring 1 was clear and 1 I thought might be clear but was a little dark so I cdount tell. so Im 12/15 on the cot eggs on day 5/6?

I still have 5 eggs under my first time broody miss mini i havent candled again but the last time I did she had all 5 growing Ill check again the next time I let her out.

I almost forgot I set eggs in the little chic bator yesterday , I dropped one this morning when I was trying to put some rubber type shelf liner in there so the eggs wont roll around so much. I was trying to hold the eggs in one hand and put the liner in with the other and dropped one it was so stupid of me I know better Im just glad it was only 24 hours into incubation.
So Im down from 5 fullsized eggs and 1 mini egg to 4 fullszed and 1 mini.

Last edited:
I candled 2 days early I just coudnt wait , I wanted to candle monday but I candled late last night.
Shipped Orpinton eggs in my brinsea mini eco 8 eggs. All 8 had bad wonky or movble air cells that were oddly shaped and I think to big , Out of the 8 shipped eggs 2 were clear, 1 of those had crystalized stuff seeping thru the shell. 3 had viens or an embryo bouncing around in there and 3 were early quitters with blood rings. So I am 3/8 on the orp egg on day 7/8 . I think I may have been able to save more if I could have found a way to set them fat end up instead of on there sides becuase of the air cells but I just coudnt figure out how to fit 8 BIG fat orp eggs like that in my tiny little mini eco.

I had 8 eggs set up in a box with a light as an experment but they started dying of so I switched them to my LG forced air so out of 8 2+ week old serama eggs all of them grew but 4 quit and 4 have movement. So Im 4/8 on my experment eggs on day 11/12

Next in the LG forced air I have
4 shipped bob white eggs 1 is clear and the other 3 have definate movement. So I am 3/4 of the bob white eggs on day 6/7

12 store bought rock island brown fertile eggs. 9 eggs had viens or embryo movement. 3 were possible blood rings so I am at 9/12 on day 6/7 for these.

3 serama eggs in the LG (diffrent from the experment group) all 3 eggs show embryo movement on day 6/7

15 cortunix quail eggs These guys are hard to see in so I went by how dark they were if I coudnt see viens. 12 were dark or had viens or movement , 1 had a blood ring 1 was clear and 1 I thought might be clear but was a little dark so I cdount tell. so Im 12/15 on the cot eggs on day 5/6?

I still have 5 eggs under my first time broody miss mini i havent candled again but the last time I did she had all 5 growing Ill check again the next time I let her out.
Wow you have a lot going on at your house, how fun! I have a question, how can you tell what a blood ring looks like? Is the Egg clear except for some sort of ring? I had a hard time candleing my eggs. A lot of them seemed to have very large dark masses in them. But I couldn't see any movement or veins. Not really sure what I am looking at. I candled a little early too, so I think I will wait a couple of days do it again and take pictures and post them here. It may just be my eyes aren't working quite right :).

Back
Top Bottom