Hatch-Along - Setting eggs week of Feb 4th..anyone else?

11 of 11!

I did have to chip one out of her shell at the end though. She was still moving in the egg but the shell was so thick and so was the membrane. She's doing really well now, but we were so worried for a while! We named her Merida.

Their names are:

Katniss
Seven
Jinx
Merida
Camilla
Caroline
Mary
Laura
Carrie
Grace
Nelly

My little fluff balls!!!!!

My cat tried to nurse this one, I think she's a little confused!! Lol

I've got 9 so far. :) That's out of 20 that went in. 2 more have pipped. I'm wondering how long to wait before I do some checking to see what's up with the remaining 9... they were perfect when they went in.

pictures coming...

up to 11... One of them may not make it.. I left the school at 3 and it had zipped a huge and weirdly shaped hole... went to the dentist, came back at 5, and it was stuck inside the egg... its feathers that were showing were dry and hard, and it was stuck to the shell all the way around. It was gasping in a way that looked like it would die any minute, so I removed it and performed a little chicken surgery. It was completely dry inside the egg and stuck COMPLETELY to the inside of the shell. I had to take my tiny nail scissors I keep in my desk and remove it very gently from its shell.. I have no idea what happened, but I cleaned it with a soft warm cloth and put in in a little "hospital basket" I set up with fresh paper towels in the incubator...

what went wrong? and WHY did I have 9 eggs that were perfect when I locked down end up not hatching? I am going to wait it out, but I guess I'll float test them tomorrow. What else can I do to see if they are alive or gone? Could they have died when our janitor went in last night and BANGED on the incubator trying to get one to hatch? (I was FURIOUS... and chewed her out... I walked in last night to check on them and she was in there with her kids banging away trying to make one hatch so she could see.) There was also one night where my temp dropped to 96... I don't know how long it was like that...

I'm going to take pictures when I go up in a bit, and I'll post them when I get back.

I have one out now...and easter egger. Funny thing is that when I put them in lockdown...I accidentally cracked it...so I used tape to seal it up. It was the first out. ill get pics when I pull them from the bator.

Well, I have two puffy, beautiful chicks in the brooder! They hatched before anyone else pipped, and I was able to snatch them out once they got fluffy. Since then another one has hatched, and is calling to the ones in the brooder, and they are answering. SO sweet.

Don't you love them at this age (4 hours, lol) when they run and burrow into your hand?
love.gif
Before they get 3 days old and "too cool" to snuggle with Mama.

Only a couple of other pips right now, so I'm heading to bed to dream of my Swedish Flower Hen babies hatching tomorrow.
wee.gif

up to 11... One of them may not make it.. I left the school at 3 and it had zipped a huge and weirdly shaped hole... went to the dentist, came back at 5, and it was stuck inside the egg... its feathers that were showing were dry and hard, and it was stuck to the shell all the way around. It was gasping in a way that looked like it would die any minute, so I removed it and performed a little chicken surgery. It was completely dry inside the egg and stuck COMPLETELY to the inside of the shell. I had to take my tiny nail scissors I keep in my desk and remove it very gently from its shell.. I have no idea what happened, but I cleaned it with a soft warm cloth and put in in a little "hospital basket" I set up with fresh paper towels in the incubator...

what went wrong? and WHY did I have 9 eggs that were perfect when I locked down end up not hatching? I am going to wait it out, but I guess I'll float test them tomorrow. What else can I do to see if they are alive or gone? Could they have died when our janitor went in last night and BANGED on the incubator trying to get one to hatch? (I was FURIOUS... and chewed her out... I walked in last night to check on them and she was in there with her kids banging away trying to make one hatch so she could see.) There was also one night where my temp dropped to 96... I don't know how long it was like that...

I'm going to take pictures when I go up in a bit, and I'll post them when I get back.

You could candle them to look for internal pips, otherwise do the float test. Sometimes hatches can span multiple days, so give them a bit more time. Good Luck!

Well, I have two puffy, beautiful chicks in the brooder! They hatched before anyone else pipped, and I was able to snatch them out once they got fluffy. Since then another one has hatched, and is calling to the ones in the brooder, and they are answering. SO sweet. 

Don't you love them at this age (4 hours, lol) when they run and burrow into your hand? :love Before they get 3 days old and "too cool" to snuggle with Mama.

Only a couple of other pips right now, so I'm heading to bed to dream of my Swedish Flower Hen babies hatching tomorrow. :weee

My early bird hatched on day 19 still runs to me and snuggles in my hands :). She is now 5 days old and is the only one that still does :)

Back
Top Bottom