HATCH COMPLETE! I have 15 beautiful Delaware chicks.

Quote:
And so does Grandma csibb!!
lol.png

g'ma....most of mine were fertile and developing nicely. not sure the double yolker is still developing, but there are definitely two babies in it.

i dropped one yesterday....
hit.gif
i feel like a big moron. my hand didn't make it all the way into the brooder and it dropped.

the baby was developing nicely and was breathing. so, i know they are in there and coming along! and my kids got to see a baby chick developing, so all is not horrid.

hurry pics, hurry!

lau.gif
Ok, here's a few pics to temporarily "satisfy the hunger" of grandma, auntie, and CC! I'll post more pics as I get them. Enjoy!

This first pic is one of my brooders with the youngest chicks in it...plus a black australorp who isn't quite up to par yet:
13587_delaware_hatch_001.jpg

This pic is of the 3 oldest chicks that hatched last night. As you can see, they've already discovered the food and are drinking water already too.
13587_delaware_hatch_002.jpg

The 2 very youngest chicks are still in the 'bator to encourage the 3 pipped ones to come on out, it's great out here!

Last edited:
#14 just hatched, #15 is halfway hatched, so that leaves 6 eggs. The last time I checked, there was 1 of those 6 eggs with a live chick in it. The other 5 had no signs of life...couldn't hear anything in the egg. I'm going to check all of them again later tonight to see what's going on. If the 1 egg still has a live chick in it, how long should I wait for it to pip before I intervene?

Edited to say that #15 just finished hatching.

Last edited:
I just candled the remaining 6 eggs and saw no signs of life. The air cell in those eggs was very large too...way larger than it should have been. On day 18 when the eggs were put into the hatcher, all of them candled alive and with normal air cells. Was the enlarged air cells due to the high humidity throughout the hatch?
Could this be why they didn't hatch...too much humidity before they were ready?
idunno.gif
Very interesting, indeed.

Last edited:
I have heard that high humidity is a bigger problem that low humidity. I'm going to do some pondering (old people to that) about trying the dry hatch method with some Welsummers. I am glad to read that your hatch has gone so well. Keep us posted as to their progress.

Cute chicks I know my batch of 5 that hatches next weekend was larger..threw 6 out that were plum empty except for egg..back to hatch on now of 16..got healthy 13 theyare eating and drinking good.. #14 pipped last night and zipped and layed most of day with but stuck and dry from being cracked all that time..I had hubby help it out..it had asorbed the yoke but was so worn out..hope it makes it, but chances are it might not of other wise..it is chirping away though..hope it encourges the last two eggs to pip and get hatched tonight..

Back
Top Bottom