Hatch eggs in an egg carton??????

Hi Judy

When I was incubating eggs, I did use the Carton method. I really don't prefer it though. Some people do, but I rather have the eggs down on a flat surface where they can roll around as you say. I also had a better hatch rate without the cartons. Your call! Good luck! Let me know what you decide and how many hatch out.
smile.png

I had my eggs laying horizontally since 6:00 PM EST, but tried to turn them (there are only 7) and they started rolling around, so I put them in the egg carton (with holes in the bottoms of the cups). Do you think I hurt them by moving them into the egg carton? These are "mutt" eggs, but I don't want to kill them before they have a fighting chance. Do you think they'll be okay?

BTW, I have the 'bator propped up on a book on one side and will move it from side to side to "turn" the eggs from this point on. Is that what others do?

Thanks!

Quote:
Actually, your not suppose to turn or move the egs during the 3 day wait as a general rule. But, I did the same thing myself this time and one hatched this morning. I did have to help it out.

I have had several differrent hatch dates and had taken all the eggs our of the cartons and propped up theons that wheren't ready yet for the 3 day wait and hand turned and the ones that where I left alone. I didn't prop up the bator either.
Now that there where only 3 eggs left to hatch I put the rest back in the cartons and started propping the bator up. They have been in the cartons for 2 days and this morning we had a baby. My mutts always seem to hatch on day 23 not 21. So far I have a 50% hatch rate out of my eggs and a very low rate out of the bought and won eggs.

So, it didn't seem to hurt by moving them becaue 1 has hatched so far but it may have hurt the remaining 2.

Quote:
In my opinion, propping the bator up on a book isn't enough of a "turn" to do much/any good.
As far as the eggs laying horizontally since 6 p.m.--did you just put them in the bator, or are you talking about the last 3 days before the hatch? I thought it sounded like you are just starting the 21 day hatch, and if so, they need to be turned 3 times a day. If you just have 7, that isn't going to take long to turn. You can either use the egg carton if you want, or put down a little rubber mat (shelf liner) and they don't roll as bad. I don't seem to have any trouble turning the eggs and having them roll. I assume you have an X on one side, and an O on the other, or some similiar plan to know that each was turned? If so, if one rolls a bit, just reposition it where it is solid. Good Luck, whichever way you decide to do it.

Last edited:
I just started with day #0 yesterday at 6:00 PM EST. I'm actually using a box top (about 6" tall) as my "book" under the 'bator and just moving it from one side to the other to "turn" the eggs that are resting in the carton. After reading and reading and reading on the boards last night, it seems many people have great hatch rates using this method. It also means I don't have to open the 'bator for anything - other than to add water when needed - so my temps and humidity stay constant.

Thanks for the info and advice
smile.png

I went bator crazy at the beginning of May because I got a new bator. I ended up with 5 different hatch dates which meant I had to change humidity and hand turn for about 5 days. The bator was opened more than I would have liked. When I did my eggtopsy of the unhatched ones if they wheren't fertile they died near the end and a fe died when they should have pipped. I blame it on opening the bator and tems fluctuating.

When I have all my eggs either hatched or tossed out, I'm gonna clean it up and collect all the eggs I want to do next and put them all in at once. That way I will know if it was from opening the bator.

I plan to do EE's next. I want all 3 colors. I've located pink and green and was offered some blue egg layer chicks. Then I may quit until next spring. My original hens aren't happy about having to share their space with new hens. They still pick on the 10 I put in there 2 weeks ago.

My husband built a pen inside of the coop under the nest shelf to try to get them used to them before I just let them roam. This time it is only 2, next time it'll be 3 then 6. Then when the EE's get big enough it will be them and I will give the older ladies the rest of the summer until next spring to get over it.

Yesterday while he was building the pen our BO was raising cain. She knew what was up. Another hen that is just huge was hanging around and watching.

Quote:
Huh? If they weren't fertile, they would have been clear, (completely undeveloped). There would not have been an embryo at all, nothing to die near the end.

Quote:
Huh? If they weren't fertile, they would have been clear, (completely undeveloped). There would not have been an embryo at all, nothing to die near the end.

I meant that there where some that where not fertile and osme that died near the end. Completely different eggs in each case. Sorry, I should have clarified that. I have mostly brown eggs and it is near impossible to see through them except for the air cell. And that is hard to see. I don't have a candeler. I use a flashlight.

Quote:

I meant that there where some that where not fertile and osme that died near the end. Completely different eggs in each case. Sorry, I should have clarified that. I have mostly brown eggs and it is near impossible to see through them except for the air cell. And that is hard to see. I don't have a candeler. I use a flashlight.

I understood you..

a candler will not help much on brown eggs..

anyone every hear of putting the eggs in a little wooden box and filling the box with paper towels torn into strips for use as nesting material?

i was thinking of trying it because naturally, under a hen, the eggs are in a crowded environment and have their own little 'indet spots' so that they egg does not roll around so much. thoughts? anyone try it?

sounds like a good idea, but i'm scared to try without first consulting all you BYC members.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom