Hatch

Rstine

Chirping
Jun 19, 2016
I am new to geese. We are just hatching out our first goslings and are so excited. The first egg has had a window broken out for going on 4 days now. The chic is active and peeping. Is this too long? Do I try to intervene or let it go?

What day of incubation are your eggs on? If it's been around 28 days, and the gosling has been externally pipped for 4 days, I would be concerned and would consider cautiously assisting. I had a recent goose egg hatch and the last egg to hatch ended up being shrinkwrapped/glued into the shell, despite high humidity. The gosling likely would not have been able to get out on its own...but with careful assistance, it's running around in the brooder like the others now. :)

Have you read @pete55's Goose Incubation and Hatching Guide? If you decide to assist, @Pyxis's article is very helpful. Best of luck!

So I peeled the shell off the best I could, some of the membrane was stuck to its head, didn't force it of for fear if bleeding. I have another who was in the same stage but started a day later so I helped it out as well. They are both moving around the incubator, they look weak and I am not holding out much hope. One did finally get its legs under it, though.

So I peeled the shell off the best I could, some of the membrane was stuck to its head, didn't force it of for fear if bleeding. I have another who was in the same stage but started a day later so I helped it out as well. They are both moving around the incubator, they look weak and I am not holding out much hope. One did finally get its legs under it, though.
They've just been through an incredibly exhausting experience (even more so if they've been struggling that long to hatch), so like @BirdsBeesTrees said, rest is definitely going to be in order. You could also try offering a supplement like Nutri-Drench or Sav-A-Chick. Hope they perk up soon!

Thanks, I will try it. One appears as if it has a neck problem, hopefully it will be able to stretch it out, I can't imagine life in an egg.

An update. I tried to remove the egg membrane stuck to the one goslings head and a lot of ot was too much adhered to get off without risking bleeding. Unfortunately, that Gosling didn't make it through its second night. The one with what had appeared to have a deformed neck and leg straighted out nicely and now appears quite healthy, is eating and drinking, and the only evidence of its rough entry is a small bald spot on its cheek and one on it's back. I've learned a lot since I first started incubating these guys and will do much better next time. I want to hatch this guy a few friends, unfortunately, my source for eggs seems to have dried up for now. Thanks to all for the help and advice.

Back
Top Bottom