1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatcheries with low minimum order?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by grullablue, Nov 12, 2008.

1. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I've never ordered chicks before, and am overwhelmed with the choices! I'm in southern WI, and possibly looking into ordering maybe 8 RIR pullets when they become available (I am guessing in the spring? I'm not sure). I was looking at the MyPetChicken website, and several others.

Anyone have any GREAT recommendations?
    Thanks!

2. stayathomedad

stayathomedad Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2008
    I ordered for my first time last Sept through McMurray and was pleased. I had 1 die during shipment, and two more the next day, but they did send an extra and refunded my loss.
    When I was searching all of the hatcheries, it seemed the ones that had minimums under 25 charged an additional fee for a small order. It was a steep fee if I remember correctly.
    Maybe you could find someone that lives nearby to split an order with you through a hatchery with a 25 minimum. I think you would fare better.

3. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Ideal Hatchery has a $25 minimum...as long as you have $25 worth of chicks before shipping (and that's not many), that's all you need. My last order was only 9 chicks....all arrived alive and healthy, plus they sent 8 extras. I've got another order coming on the 24th. I've been very pleased with Ideal...they've always been wonderful to work with.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  4. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    You might want to look into getting some this spring from a local feed store or maybe they can put you in contact with someone local. My experience the shipping on those small orders is very high.

5. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks! I'm also searching through older posts as we speak. I guess I thought most had a minimum chick order, not a minimum dollar order! I will check into these that you mentioned!

I don't know anyone that would split an order with me, which is why I'm wanting to go a smaller number order. The only person who'd take more layers wouldn't want chicks. And I've been looking locally..but haven't found anyone so far...

Thank you!
    Angie

6. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Meyer has a 3 chick minimum, but the S&H on the 3 chicks is high and you can order 25 chicks for the same price. Needless to say I ordered 25. All pullets and I sold the ones I did not want as soon as they got here. You can always sell girls. [​IMG]

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Cackle Hatchery has a 15 chick min. and the quality of the birds is amaziing.

8. flchickenlady

flchickenlady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I received my order from My Pet Chicken two weeks ago. They have a minimum order of 3 chicks and send them in a TLC package which was $25. I ordered 9 chicks and they were sent in a box with a heating pack and were nice and warm when they arrived. They were shipped overnight from Connecticut to Florida. My Post Office even delivered them for me. The chicks were in excellent condition when they arrived and two weeks later they're happy, healthy and growing like weeds.
    I'd highly recommend My Pet Chicken to anyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by