Hatcheries

Clmirabilio92

Songster
5 Years
Mar 27, 2019
I am looking hard into purchasing and getting certain female chicks sent to me from the hatchery, hoovers hatchery. I was going to get them through tractor supply online but someone told me to cut out tractor supply all together and go straight from the hatchery website. I've been worried about seeing people getting their mail In chicks dead. So that's a concern for me. I'm moving and I have to wait until after I move to get new birds. There's no one I can find around that has any female chicks. I can't really be getting any more roosters. If anyone has any good experiences with hoovers. I searched alot of the other hatcheries, but they didn't really have the female chicks I've been wanting. Any info or knowledge would be great! Thanks!

Where are you located? So we can give you good advice. For example I'm in North Alabama (different weather than South Alabama).

What breeds of chicken are you wanting to purchase? Are you wanting eggs, meat, a certain color chicken? If you're going to order from a hatchery anyway, there's a number of ones that have better bred chickens than Hoover's IMO. My first flock was from them, and they've been fine to start out with. My second flock is from Murray McMurray, and they have slightly better quality chickens. My Pet Chicken, Cackle Hatchery, and there's a few other hatcheries folks recommend. I get meat birds (cornish cross) from Welp Hatchery. But yes, shipping is a risk regardless of the hatchery.

All the hatcheries I know of offer sexed pullets (female chicks, 90% accurate). Or you can get auto-sexing breeds or sex-link breeds and KNOW you're getting females. If you absolutely can't have roosters, this might be a good choice for you.

The benefit of feed stores like Tractor Supply is you can walk in and get the chicks in person. You don't have to worry about any dying in shipment that way. But often the breeds are mixed up in the binds, the shop people are uninformed, and they may have limited selection. If you know exactly what you're looking for and what it's supposed to look like, things can work fine. Or if you get knowledgeable store workers. You can choose exactly the chicks you want, so that's also a plus.

Is tractor supply your only feed store? Sometimes it's worth a drive for best quality. I drive right past TSC to a local feed store that sources Privett. WAY better experience than my local TSC so the difference is first the hatchery they source and 2nd their own internal process when they receive chicks. My feed store of choice has a "chick room" way better set up in my opinion than the galvanized tanks, crappy organization at my TSC. Again that's just my sitch, but I'd really rather pick them up locally because I've done the way too much money, (and I'm not really a cheapie, I don't care that much,) for a few pullets through the mail before and one turned out to be a cockerel anyway. :idunno

My chicks are from Hoover's, ordered via a local farm & ranch store. (not tsc)

I wanted a variety of chicks (not minimum-5-of-a-kind), the store would take special orders from customers and group together for shipping. Had to be flexible about arrival date but worth waiting. Store called mid-morning to pick up, all the chicks arrived in good shape 😊.

I am looking hard into purchasing and getting certain female chicks sent to me from the hatchery, hoovers hatchery. I was going to get them through tractor supply online but someone told me to cut out tractor supply all together and go straight from the hatchery website. I've been worried about seeing people getting their mail In chicks dead. So that's a concern for me. I'm moving and I have to wait until after I move to get new birds. There's no one I can find around that has any female chicks. I can't really be getting any more roosters. If anyone has any good experiences with hoovers. I searched alot of the other hatcheries, but they didn't really have the female chicks I've been wanting. Any info or knowledge would be great! Thanks!
I ordered 15 chicks and got free shipping from Murray .They had limited breeds and ship dates but I got all the pullets I wanted except legbars.I'll have to place a separate order later.I got welsummers ,easter eggers and brown leghorns in this batch and all survived.

I have ordered from Meyer early this year when a lot had shipping issues. Ours where shipped with a heating pad. Beside one all went right to eat and drink once in the brooder. They also put in a gel pack to help the chicks with overcoming the stress. They all turned out beautiful. No chick died on that shipment. They have a big selection of chicken breeds.

We also found a local breeder and got 6 chickens from them. We are also very happy with them. Locally breed and raised and a decent selection.

Where are you located? So we can give you good advice. For example I'm in North Alabama (different weather than South Alabama).

What breeds of chicken are you wanting to purchase? Are you wanting eggs, meat, a certain color chicken? If you're going to order from a hatchery anyway, there's a number of ones that have better bred chickens than Hoover's IMO. My first flock was from them, and they've been fine to start out with. My second flock is from Murray McMurray, and they have slightly better quality chickens. My Pet Chicken, Cackle Hatchery, and there's a few other hatcheries folks recommend. I get meat birds (cornish cross) from Welp Hatchery. But yes, shipping is a risk regardless of the hatchery.

All the hatcheries I know of offer sexed pullets (female chicks, 90% accurate). Or you can get auto-sexing breeds or sex-link breeds and KNOW you're getting females. If you absolutely can't have roosters, this might be a good choice for you.

The benefit of feed stores like Tractor Supply is you can walk in and get the chicks in person. You don't have to worry about any dying in shipment that way. But often the breeds are mixed up in the binds, the shop people are uninformed, and they may have limited selection. If you know exactly what you're looking for and what it's supposed to look like, things can work fine. Or if you get knowledgeable store workers. You can choose exactly the chicks you want, so that's also a plus.
Hi! I got mine at a smaller farm store than the big box ones. They had about 30-40 breeds. Mine have all been healthy so far but did lose the tiniest one the first day. 😥You may have a store like that not far away. I googled mine.

I ordered from Ideal Poultry this year and have been very satisfied with the quality of the chicks...all arrived alive and are 11 weeks old and all are still thriving!! Only issue is they sexed one of mine incorrectly but as was said above...if you get sex linked chicks you should be good. Good luck!!

I got my chicks from Mt. Healthy Hatchery in OH. I am very pleased with them. I ordered 7 RIR pullets, got 9 RIR pullets and they all arrived healthy and happy and have stayed that way. They also offer Marek's vaccination. Other people I know that ordered from them also had similar very good experience. If I order chicks again it will be from them. The only problem is chicken math, I get the occasional promotional emails and look at their online catalog and it is literally all I can do to not contemplate building another coop/run and order more.

I got my chicks from Mt. Healthy Hatchery in OH. I am very pleased with them. I ordered 7 RIR pullets, got 9 RIR pullets and they all arrived healthy and happy and have stayed that way.
This is a small miracle. I was scrolling through this thread and was going to say....

I think all the mainstream hatcheries are going to be about the same with the exception of Mt Healthy.

We live in a small town with a small feed store who decided to get chicks from Mt Healthy this year. I am quite involved in the stores chick distribution and provide general help and What a disaster it has been.

Chicks aren't really arriving DOA but we have cockerels absolutely everywhere. The vent sexing was atrocious and that is putting it lightly. Obviously I don't know the entire extent, but I would personally never order from there i was in search of pullets.

Back
Top Bottom