hatchers hatcherers..... who's expecting peeps on septembre 24th or so... :)

Dont be stress i find my bator fluctuates when the action starts 54% is still ok its more important to keep what humidity is in there in there. I have a lamb stomach feeder tube which goes thru lid and into a tiny funnel directly into water chanel so I can add water during lockdown. My bator is styro type they are notorious for drowning chicks it is still air so humidity is more stable than fan assisted types they use a lot more water and are prone to running dry more often than still air types. I also have the air vents open thru out incubating and hatching. i had a 13th chick hatch it has a stuffed leg sure why its happening. It about one in every 25 at the moment so rang the company did what they said could find no hotspot. Its not my pens cos it happening to all breeds and i cant see it being feed my feed schedule is extreme most breeders that know me say my birds are spoilt and cant imagine going to the lengths i go to.

Dont be stress i find my bator fluctuates when the action starts 54% is still ok its more important to keep what humidity is in there in there. I have a lamb stomach feeder tube which goes thru lid and into a tiny funnel directly into water chanel so I can add water during lockdown. My bator is styro type they are notorious for drowning chicks it is still air so humidity is more stable than fan assisted types they use a lot more water and are prone to running dry more often than still air types. I also have the air vents open thru out incubating and hatching. i had a 13th chick hatch it has a stuffed leg sure why its happening. It about one in every 25 at the moment so rang the company did what they said could find no hotspot. Its not my pens cos it happening to all breeds and i cant see it being feed my feed schedule is extreme most breeders that know me say my birds are spoilt and cant imagine going to the lengths i go to.

Yes, I'm not so worried at the moment, I did put a tiny jelly jar in there with a paper towel and just a touch of water, its holding now at 60% I opened both air vents (I didnt realize it was for oxygen) and the eggs are wiggling here and there so its all good, a moment of panic but got some good advice from you and other folks here
big_smile.png
I do have a hole hubby made for the turner cord and I am using that if I need to feed water to the jar through a straw, I got both troughs completly full and have had most of the day, but it just wasnt enough surface area I guess.

What is a stuffed leg?

They have a leg that sticks out side ways and it never comes good they never walk properly the other leg ends up giving up from taking all the weight will post pic later

They have a leg that sticks out side ways and it never comes good they never walk properly the other leg ends up giving up from taking all the weight will post pic later

ohhh poor thing, What do you do? Seem I read something about stints?? Or is this a differant matter? Do you just cull it?

Yeah tried braces and chairs they just get depressed and die wire is just too difficult to fit and I can't see how it would work in this situation. Its like they have grown wrong position in egg their leg is kind of over their wing. They hatch last always I have come to dread the last hatching egg. I have 3 at the moment one is 7 weeks one is 4 weeks and the new one. No I don't cull as day old I give them the most comfortable life posible until they start to go down hill then I do. I figure it better for them to have some life.

hopr this pic works this is the first chick it occured in the one at the top she was a pure bred silkie she only lived for a few weeks i tried everything for her nothing worked she just depressed and she died. i felt bad that i put her thru all maner of so called remedies and really made the short life she had miserable. i still have the boy at the bottom of pic his name is nugget he is a big boy now he started crowing about 3 months ago. the next one was a silke too then a plymouth then a xbred and now a belgium. my vet is a bit cat/dog bias and his attitude is it happens in the egg. theres no point asking the commerial grower that lives down the road his day olds are actually a week old so his company would weed any like this out before they send them to him.

this is the new one the foot and joints still work they just stick out awkwardly and dont sit in under them the one working leg cant take the weight as they grow. i leave them with their hatch group til the others start walking on them then i keep them with two others so they dont get lonely low feed bowl and tupperware ice cube trays for waterers so they dont drown. i really havent had this before this year had a couple with toe twists but not this leg stuff. my concern is i have another lot of eggs at day 18 tomorrow some of them are not mine and the australorps that are mine will be the first of this new pen i paid heaps for. the stripey chick in background is a issue too he is from a porcelain pen he looks to be a mille belgium which means the new hen which i got at an auction is not a proper porcelain and is throwing this other colour. mille is a colour i dont want its just to hard to get it right. speckled sussex are hard enough its taken 3 year to get the right colouring and comformation and after reading a thread here i am concerned that that roo i have kept is too small in the comb.

this is the xbred one forgot i had this pic she looks so good in it. i mentioned her earlier in this thread i knew when i carried her from bator to nursery she had this same leg issue. i still have her too she got her feathers now she is still this same colour with a gold necklace coming through she hops around on her good leg ok but she is still in a tub brooder with 2 younger silkies. i spend alot of time with these special care ones they need their shallow water trays checked more regularly, they take up brooder space for longer and their free range time is supervised. its only just this year started to happen so i cant say how long they will live the first two didnt make a month the two in shed have the plymouth (who i havent post pic of) she hatched 7th august and she is still hopping around.

Sorry for the late reply.... I didn't have enternet until now... the fifth hatched and is a black one too... they're soo cute.... I will post pics.... and hope everything goes well for you American mom... and I have one with twisted side toes I think.... his side toes are twisted a bit to the inside..... he walks well but never had such thing...

hopr this pic works this is the first chick it occured in the one at the top she was a pure bred silkie she only lived for a few weeks i tried everything for her nothing worked she just depressed and she died. i felt bad that i put her thru all maner of so called remedies and really made the short life she had miserable. i still have the boy at the bottom of pic his name is nugget he is a big boy now he started crowing about 3 months ago. the next one was a silke too then a plymouth then a xbred and now a belgium. my vet is a bit cat/dog bias and his attitude is it happens in the egg. theres no point asking the commerial grower that lives down the road his day olds are actually a week old so his company would weed any like this out before they send them to him.

Awww...poor things....

Back
Top Bottom