Hatchery Birds!

Morgan7782

Dense Egg Goo
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Sacramento CA
I notice here on BYC, hatchery birds tend to get a lot of flack. Throwing standards out the window, show off your beautiful, friendly hatchery birds! I have 1 Barred Rock, 1 EE, and 3 Wyandottes. All hatchery birds and they are all beautiful and friendly. So show off your hatchery chickens!!
big_smile.png
the more pictures the better! Also say a few nice things about your hatchery bird or birds, they deserve praise too!

This is our Easter Egger "Fluffy Cheeks". Actually, she just passed away about a week ago because of a hawk attack. The hawks come sometimes in groups of 5, and I'm even having nightmares about them now (huge people-size hawks that aren't scared of us at all - like a flying dinosaur of times past).
Anyway, we loved our Fluffy-Cheeks. She was the sweetest thing ever, and she was laying very pretty mint green eggs. She was very accepting of anything my daughter wanted her to do (including the scooter rides as pictured below).

36370_julieeescooter1_resize.jpg

This photo below also shows our hatchery LF black cochin (only a few months old in the photo). We love our hatchery cochins too. Very fluffy!
36370_julieeescooter5_resize.jpg

36370_julieeescooter6_resize.jpg

We love you Fluffy Cheeks
love.gif
and we miss you very much
love.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I disagree. "Here on BYC," I read many stories of beloved hatchery birds. Often I see suggestions to purchase hatchery stock, as well. Production birds are bred to produce, and many people are looking exactly for that.

Here is one of my hatchery birds, an Easter Egger that is now 14 months old.

31282_july22010_092.jpg

I love the easter eggers! Both are beautiful! I hadn't meant to start anything with that comment by the way, should I take that part out? For some reason I keep running into threads where a lot of people strongly advise against hatchery birds. I understand if you are showing or breeding hatchery birds may not be the best choice, but for backyard flocks of pets or layers they do just fine
big_smile.png

I've never run into a mean hatchery bird, might just be luck..

Kathy, what color eggs does that pretty girl (right?) lay?

here is some of my hatchery chicks
this is mabel the bo
50920_dsc_0292.jpg

50920_dscn9359.jpg

here they are with my goose
50920_dscn8729.jpg

Claudia the buff brahma
50920_dscn8737.jpg

Claudia and thistle the white cochin
50920_dscn8505.jpg

thistle
50920_rscn8326.jpg

this is clementine the jg
50920_dscn8054.jpg

Last edited:
Doodle is from a hatchery a very sweet and kind rooster
no problems with him likes to be picked up and loves bath times lol
very protective with his girls and the family.. he's the boss of the flock

PTDC0016-1.jpg

PTDC0127.jpg

This is Ricky the roo, from Murray McMurray.

45485_003.jpg

and his hatchery brother Speck. (I see a scary resemblance between Speck and Dee Snider from Twisted Sister.)

45485_015.jpg

45485_twisted_sister12.jpg

So tthings can swing in a huge arc on the looks department!

Quote:
I would love to look at pictures of hatchery birds, but I must say I disagree with your premise that they get a lot of flack on this site. I think they are in general held in high regard. It is the countless requests as to whether or not a hatchery bird is show quality that sometimes gets things going a bit.

I also beleive that it is a real good thing to keep these heritage breeds going and the hatchery birds (as much as some would like to disagree) simply does notdo that.

Hatchery birds and mixed stock are awesome. I love looking at them.

Mikki hello from another Sacramentoian!
big_smile.png
Your roosters are beautiful, I especially like that second one. What breed? Is that an EE rooster? I wish I could have a boyo but I am in city limits and shouldn't even have chickens shh
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom