Hatchery Birds!

Discussion in 'Online Poultry Show' started by Morgan7782, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I notice here on BYC, hatchery birds tend to get a lot of flack. Throwing standards out the window, show off your beautiful, friendly hatchery birds! I have 1 Barred Rock, 1 EE, and 3 Wyandottes. All hatchery birds and they are all beautiful and friendly. So show off your hatchery chickens!! [​IMG] the more pictures the better! Also say a few nice things about your hatchery bird or birds, they deserve praise too!

2. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    This is our Easter Egger "Fluffy Cheeks". Actually, she just passed away about a week ago because of a hawk attack. The hawks come sometimes in groups of 5, and I'm even having nightmares about them now (huge people-size hawks that aren't scared of us at all - like a flying dinosaur of times past).
    Anyway, we loved our Fluffy-Cheeks. She was the sweetest thing ever, and she was laying very pretty mint green eggs. She was very accepting of anything my daughter wanted her to do (including the scooter rides as pictured below).

[​IMG]
    This photo below also shows our hatchery LF black cochin (only a few months old in the photo). We love our hatchery cochins too. Very fluffy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We love you Fluffy Cheeks [​IMG] and we miss you very much [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:I disagree. "Here on BYC," I read many stories of beloved hatchery birds. Often I see suggestions to purchase hatchery stock, as well. Production birds are bred to produce, and many people are looking exactly for that.

Here is one of my hatchery birds, an Easter Egger that is now 14 months old.

[​IMG]

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I love the easter eggers! Both are beautiful! I hadn't meant to start anything with that comment by the way, should I take that part out? For some reason I keep running into threads where a lot of people strongly advise against hatchery birds. I understand if you are showing or breeding hatchery birds may not be the best choice, but for backyard flocks of pets or layers they do just fine [​IMG]

I've never run into a mean hatchery bird, might just be luck..

Kathy, what color eggs does that pretty girl (right?) lay?

5. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    here is some of my hatchery chicks
    this is mabel the bo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    here they are with my goose
    [​IMG]
    Claudia the buff brahma
    [​IMG]
    Claudia and thistle the white cochin
    [​IMG]
    thistle
    [​IMG]
    this is clementine the jg
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  6. Doodle_Doo

Doodle_Doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri City, TX
    Doodle is from a hatchery a very sweet and kind rooster
    no problems with him likes to be picked up and loves bath times lol
    very protective with his girls and the family.. he's the boss of the flock

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. mikki717

mikki717 My Drug of Choice- Chickens

Dec 7, 2009
    Hesperia, CA
    This is Ricky the roo, from Murray McMurray.

[​IMG]

and his hatchery brother Speck. (I see a scary resemblance between Speck and Dee Snider from Twisted Sister.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So tthings can swing in a huge arc on the looks department!

8. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:I would love to look at pictures of hatchery birds, but I must say I disagree with your premise that they get a lot of flack on this site. I think they are in general held in high regard. It is the countless requests as to whether or not a hatchery bird is show quality that sometimes gets things going a bit.

I also beleive that it is a real good thing to keep these heritage breeds going and the hatchery birds (as much as some would like to disagree) simply does notdo that.

Hatchery birds and mixed stock are awesome. I love looking at them.

9. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    What sort of rooster is that, Doodle? He's beautiful! Phoenix?

10. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Mikki hello from another Sacramentoian! [​IMG] Your roosters are beautiful, I especially like that second one. What breed? Is that an EE rooster? I wish I could have a boyo but I am in city limits and shouldn't even have chickens shh [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by