Hatchery duck season?

SAustin

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2016
Tennessee
So it appears as though the Welsh Harlequin is sold out everywhere online. I looked at Metzer, McMurray and IDEAL. So it made me wonder if there was a "season" for ducklings? I know in the Spring there's an explosion and our local feed stores even get ducklings in... Is it the same for the hatcheries?

So it appears as though the Welsh Harlequin is sold out everywhere online. I looked at Metzer, McMurray and IDEAL. So it made me wonder if there was a "season" for ducklings? I know in the Spring there's an explosion and our local feed stores even get ducklings in... Is it the same for the hatcheries?
I can't answer your question directly but from looking at their hatch dates it seems with a few exceptions they are done in August. A few breeds of ducks have hatch dates into October. That is looking at Metzer. I know Cackle only hatches chickens until October.

So it seems if WH are your must have duck that you are going to have to look for them from a breeder that may have a late hatch, or wait until next season.

Good luck.

I'm okay with waiting until Spring. I originally planned to wait until then, anyway. I blame this forum for getting me all duckling-crazy!
1f61c.png
But I was just curious if this was a trade-secret or something. I've only been a duck mom for 6 months but I love it so much I want to be a forever duck mom and learn all the ins-and-outs. Thanks for looking that info up to double check for me!

I'm okay with waiting until Spring. I originally planned to wait until then, anyway. I blame this forum for getting me all duckling-crazy!
1f61c.png
But I was just curious if this was a trade-secret or something. I've only been a duck mom for 6 months but I love it so much I want to be a forever duck mom and learn all the ins-and-outs. Thanks for looking that info up to double check for me!
No problem, I love ducks too! Even if they are stinky little things. I tell you, I had no idea how different ducks would be to chickens when I first got them. They sure make a mess, and quickly!

Back
Top Bottom