Hatchery Duckumentary

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckyfromoz, Jun 13, 2010.

1. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Just watched this...and found it interesting..

2. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

did you see the little duckling get its head squished when he cloesed the door? [​IMG]

thanks for sharing

3. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    I thought that was great!!! However, he shouldn't have opened the incubator during lockdown, correct?

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    He did have the door open for a while during filming.... I guess those bigger commercial incubators are a lot different to the little ones we use in our homes! I just thought it was interesting as out here we dont have so many of the big hatcheries like there is in the USA. I have been to one here..But I only saw the areas where they prepare the eggs before incubation and the brooder sections for after hatching.

5. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

This is interesting. BTW I've read the the incubator rooms at commercial hatcheries have an average temperature of 85-95 degrees. Those machines really heat up the small room around them because they have to let a certain amount of air in and out so the ducks wont suffocate. Also the farm featured was Metzer Farms in Gonzales California. I thought it was interesting that they used pipes with water nipples for their ducks. I always thought those are only good for chickens. I really understand why they use them. Water is short and expensive where they are at. Even the farmers around there use recycled sewage water. I used to live in that area, but never went to Metzer Farms. Well back then I did not have the land to own ducks, and we did no own the house either.

6. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    The story about the couple having "sexual performance" issues was a little random! [​IMG]
    I've never read anything about duck eggs being good for....that. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2010
  7. rgn87

rgn87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Georgia
    I really enjoyed the piece. I felt kinda bad for all those ducks all squeezed together, but I guess people like us buy them so it makes it all worth while. I wonder what the guy needed 40,000 eggs for?

8. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Thats neat! But it did bother me that he just popped open that zipped egg.

9. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I guess after all those years it just becomes natural to pop open an egg.
    It was filmed on Metzer Farms in CA. http://www.metzerfarms.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by