Hatchery location vs. supplier

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JerseyHen, Apr 7, 2011.

1. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    So, I ordered from a hatchery that was closer to me so that my fuzzies would have a better chance at surviving the travel in this unpredictable weather. Now I find out that the hatchery (which is in Iowa) is actually shipping from a supplier in New Mexico. Who is this "supplier"? Is it privett? I mean, what is the point. If I wanted birds from privett I would have ordered from privett. Does everyone drop ship from privett? Now I am not sure when they will arrive or what condition they will be in. I know that they will replace them, but I specifically ordered from this hatchery to avoid the distance thing. NM is almost all the way across the country from me (in NJ). So annoyed right now. I know there is nothing any of you can do, but I needed to vent to someone who would understand.

2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Not uncommon at all anymore. Most hatcheries don't have all their suppliers in one place. Many places that claim to be hatcheries actually hatch nothign themselves and are just middle men. The only way to 100% know where your chciks are comign from is to drive and get them yourself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by