Hatchery Practices

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MayberrySaint, Aug 8, 2007.

1. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    I was informed by an friend that some hatcheries dispose of their male chicks in a gruesome fashion...does anyone know if this may be true? I don't want to give my business to hatcheries that practice this.
    I never thought about what they do with all the males. I know some are used as "warmers" but I guess they can't use them all that way.

2. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    I can't tell ya, but I don't know if it would suprise me much. I think it would be better business to either sell them dirt cheap, or give them away for people who do meat birds. Thought this was too good a question to let st in the unanswered post pile [​IMG]

3. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I saw a site online that showed baby boys all dead in a pile. I can't remember the site and I don't want to. I'm not ordering from hatcheries anymore.

4. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    I've read in several books that they're usually just tossed into a garbage bag or can, where they suffocate...they're then tossed into a grinder, dead or alive. Can't verify it, but I've read it many times. It makes sense if you think about it; there's so much demand for hens as compared to roos...

Amy

5. jessied1227

jessied1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    Oh, dear! If this is indeed true, I will *never* order from a hatchery again.

Poor little buggers can't help the way they're born. [​IMG]

Jess

6. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    when the egg laying chickens are hatched and are boy they trow them in dumpster to die,cause there aint really a use for them in there opinion are unsless,but i think they could atleast sell them really cheap or ,free

7. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    The hatcheries probably figure if they give them away or sell them cheap
    it will cut into the sales of other, more profitable birds.

I'd take them for free, even if I had to use them as meat birds. They would
    have a good life and a humane death.

Chickens are a commodity. I'd like to see what happened if someone tried
    the same with kittens. To me it's equally wrong but can you imagine the outcry?

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Geez, give them away! Even if they're fattened for the stewpot, they'll still not be tortured to death. How many poor families could use some chickens for meat? What a waste![​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  9. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Quote:That's why I became a vegetarian 7 years ago! [​IMG]

Amy

10. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Many are frozen and used as food for pet snakes. That probably isn't the answer you want to hear either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by