Hatchery recommendations?

nolotus

Songster
Nov 13, 2020
West Central Idaho
I have heard good things about McMurray and Meyer hatcheries. I wondered if anyone knows of any good hatcheries in the West, closer to me (Idaho). Or is distance not that important in ordering chicks or pullets? Where did you get your first chickens? Are pullets a good way to start while I'm waiting for the chicks to grow up?:confused:

I have heard good things about McMurray and Meyer hatcheries. I wondered if anyone knows of any good hatcheries in the West, closer to me (Idaho). Or is distance not that important in ordering chicks or pullets? Where did you get your first chickens? Are pullets a good way to start while I'm waiting for the chicks to grow up?:confused:
I live in northern Utah so i'm kind of nearby, and I got 400 chicks from Ideal Poultry with only 3 dead on arrival. Besides those three, the other chicks were happy and healthy and didn't seem sick at all. I did have a couple more die from pasty butt, but if you aren't getting 400 that should be easily preventable. I didn't ask, but from what I saw on the review and website, they will send replacements as well. Overall, I was incredibly pleased with them, even though they are all the way in Texas, everything turned out great. Can't say anything regarding the other hatcheries you mentioned though.

Cackle and Privett (which I have bought from) are closer to your area, and I would suggest you get chicks and not older chickens, mainly because of the cost.

There is My. Healthy Hatchery and Cackle Hatchery. I know of a local feed store who sells chicks from My. Healthy Hatchery. My current flock is originally from My. Healthy Hatchery. Check around your local feed stores. They might have some chicks themselves. I think that there is a Hatchery in Idaho, but I can't remember which one it is.

I live in northern Utah so i'm kind of nearby, and I got 400 chicks from Ideal Poultry with only 3 dead on arrival. Besides those three, the other chicks were happy and healthy and didn't seem sick at all. I did have a couple more die from pasty butt, but if you aren't getting 400 that should be easily preventable. I didn't ask, but from what I saw on the review and website, they will send replacements as well. Overall, I was incredibly pleased with them, even though they are all the way in Texas, everything turned out great. Can't say anything regarding the other hatcheries you mentioned though.

I must say Wow! 400 chicks. Over abundance of cuteness!!! :love :love

Back
Top Bottom